THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Far From Heaven

edjames
This topic is 4102 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Cathy Whitaker seems to be the picture-perfect wife and mother in 1957 suburban Connecticut. But roiling beneath the surface, secret longings and forbidden desires cause her world to unravel, with incendiary consequences. With a lush score that is both jazz-inflected and hauntingly lyrical, Far From Heaven is a powerful story of romance, betrayal, and intolerance, as a woman grapples with her identity in a society on the verge of upheaval.

A new musical based on a 2002 film, Kelli O'Hara stars as the conflicted wife in this Richard Greenberg‘s (his third play of the 2013 season! Breakfast at Tiffany's & Assembled Parties) adaptation with music by Scott Frankel (Grey Gardens) and lyrics by Michael Korle.

Now playing at Playwright's Horizon till June 30.

The story is simple. Cathy and her husband seem to be the idyllic 1957 Hartford CT couple. Two kids, lovely home, successful career, and lots of friends the surface is soon shattered when Cathy discovers her husband has been harboring a deep dark secret...he's gay! Although he agrees to go into therapy, he cannot fight his desires and the couple's marriage collapses. Cathy, in her despondent state seeks the friendship of the African-American handyman/gardener and soon the town is awash with malicious gossip.

I wish I could say I really loved this musical. I adore Kelli and she was terrific. The music was good but no song seemed to stand out. The supporting cast could have been a bit better. The kids were dreadful. I was sitting in the third row and could hardly hear the little girl (and she was miked!). Costumes were good, although, in her 1950's dresses, Kelli looks like June Cleaver in her pearls and apron over the petticoats and crinolines’.

Open's next week, we'll see what the critics have to say...

ED

Ed, remind me who plays Kelli O'Hara's husband in the musical. Sorry, you were disappointed. I was looking forward to seeing "Far From Heaven."

Frank Whitaker is played by Steven Pasquale, formerly of reasons to be pretty, The Intelligent Homosexual's Guide, A Soldier's Olay, etc...

Nice looking guy exuding all the angst required of this role. Good voice.

Hope you will enjoy the production more than I.

ED

Frank Whitaker is played by Steven Pasquale, formerly of reasons to be pretty, The Intelligent Homosexual's Guide, A Soldier's Olay, etc...

Nice looking guy exuding all the angst required of this role. Good voice.

Hope you will enjoy the production more than I.

ED

It was never a sign that it opened when it did and where it did. If it looked really good it would have opened in early April in a better Broadway theater to qualify for Tonys. I actually think the subject matter would make a better opera than a musical.

Steven Pasquale is a nice-looking guy (although he looks like a lot of other nice-looking guys like Michael Dudikoff or Cole Hauser) ... I think the only thing I've seen him in on TV is that awful COMA remake where he played the doctor.

I agree mostly. But, Kelli O'Hara was performing in "Nice Work If You Can Get It" until recently. Perhaps she was unavailable for a fall 2013/spring 2014 season with "Far From Heaven."

Wasn't Pasquale the first choice for "The Light in the Piazza" and Lt. Cable in the "South Pacific" revival, roles that then went to Matthew Morrison.

Steven Pasquale-Really Handsome!!

I agree mostly. But, Kelli O'Hara was performing in "Nice Work If You Can Get It" until recently. Perhaps she was unavailable for a fall 2013/spring 2014 season with "Far From Heaven."

Wasn't Pasquale the first choice for "The Light in the Piazza" and Lt. Cable in the "South Pacific" revival, roles that then went to Matthew Morrison.

According to his Wikipedia bio, he was the original lead in 'The Light in the Piazza' in Seattle. He couldn't take the role on Broadway due to being on the TV show 'Rescue Me'.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcyva1Ka8L1r7b601o1_500.jpg

Gman

According to his Wikipedia bio, he was the original lead in 'The Light in the Piazza' in Seattle. He couldn't take the role on Broadway due to being on the TV show 'Rescue Me'.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcyva1Ka8L1r7b601o1_500.jpg

He's a better looking Matthew Morrison from the neck up but Matthew Morrison is a better looking Matthew Morrison from the neck down :)

It was never a sign that it opened when it did and where it did. If it looked really good it would have opened in early April in a better Broadway theater to qualify for Tonys. I actually think the subject matter would make a better opera than a musical.

Never a "sign" of what?????

I'm sure I don't have to remind you that theatrical productions start their life in many different venues and few open directly on Broadway. You are making suppositions on the award-worthiness of this production without having seen it. It started life at Williamstown Theater Festival last year where it was commissioned, developed, and produced through the Playwrights Horizons Musicals in Partnership Initiative, with leadership support from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, and WilliamM is correct when he reminds us that kelli O'Hara has a full schedule and just completed her run at LC's NY Phil concert version of Carousel in March. She is a huge star and I'm sure the producers were willing to await for her schedule to be free to accomodate this production. She is a box office draw and has a huge fan base.

PH had first dibs. If it gets good reviews and box office it mgiht transition to a larger Broadway House.

Never a "sign" of what?????

I'm sure I don't have to remind you that theatrical productions start their life in many different venues and few open directly on Broadway. You are making suppositions on the award-worthiness of this production without having seen it. It started life at Williamstown Theater Festival last year where it was commissioned, developed, and produced through the Playwrights Horizons Musicals in Partnership Initiative, with leadership support from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, and WilliamM is correct when he reminds us that kelli O'Hara has a full schedule and just completed her run at LC's NY Phil concert version of Carousel in March. She is a huge star and I'm sure the producers were willing to await for her schedule to be free to accomodate this production. She is a box office draw and has a huge fan base.

PH had first dibs. If it gets good reviews and box office it mgiht transition to a larger Broadway House.

I left out the word "good" as in "good sign."

I have seen it which is why I said it would be better material for an opera than a musical.

It's easy to sell something out with a name like Kelli O'Hara and a theater with 49 seats. LOL.

Getting Kelli on board certainly ups the attention of the show. In this case getting a ticket is next to impossible, so chances are they might be discussing a transfer to a larger house off-B'way or on. We'll see what the reviewers say soon.

Actually the mainstage theater of PH has 216 seats. A far cry from the larger B'way houses.

:)

It's a beautiful piece to look at, and Kelli O'Hara is radiant in those period dresses/wigs. Mad Men on stage!

As far as a musical, it's even more of a chamber piece than Grey Gardens was, I found the music lovely, and more thematic than catching. I loved the cast, and thought they captured the era perfectly. Isaiah Johnson is so terrific in counterpoint to Ms. O'Hara, It's tough to portray so much unrequited/unachievable passion. And yet you know that there really is no other choice. I also found the husband so hard to watch, because he was so selfish. Granted society really fucked him, but MAN, he really fucked his wife and kids. (BTW, Mr. Pasquale is also Mr. Laura Benanti.)

I do wish that the maid had a song. She's so present throughout much of their interaction, and almost as an oracle, I wish she'd had a song about "It's not my place" to say anything, but I can see this happening and know it's not going to go well.

I also felt that the ending needed some oomph. Her single verse in the last reprise about Connecticut being less picturesque than she originally thought wasn't enough to convey the kind of strength that she was going to need to move forward as a divorcee in 1957. Especially since the gossip mill was probably portraying her as the reason for the divorce for having simply been seen with a man of color.

They're reporting that it has completely sold out for it's run for now, and when I asked at the box office, I was told that decisions made about extending are made after the formal opening which will be 6/2. I imagine it will get mixed reviews, and they'll extend through part or most of the summer, (nothing is scheduled in that space until Fall.) I do not think it would transfer to a successful Broadway run. I think the material is even less commercial than Grey Gardens, which couldn't find an audience. And GG looked with both humor and poignancy at these two crazy old dames, this just makes everyone feel badly about society mores.

I am VERY glad to have seen it, and I suspect that they'll record this, (and I'd buy it), but don't need to rush out and see it again, or even recommend it to my casual theatre-going friends, especially when there are a numerous other offerings on the boards right now.

• 1 month later...
It's a beautiful piece to look at, and Kelli O'Hara is radiant in those period dresses/wigs. Mad Men on stage!

As far as a musical, it's even more of a chamber piece than Grey Gardens was, I found the music lovely, and more thematic than catching. I loved the cast, and thought they captured the era perfectly. Isaiah Johnson is so terrific in counterpoint to Ms. O'Hara, It's tough to portray so much unrequited/unachievable passion. And yet you know that there really is no other choice. I also found the husband so hard to watch, because he was so selfish. Granted society really fucked him, but MAN, he really fucked his wife and kids. (BTW, Mr. Pasquale is also Mr. Laura Benanti.)

I am VERY glad to have seen it, and I suspect that they'll record this, (and I'd buy it), but don't need to rush out and see it again, or even recommend it to my casual theatre-going friends, especially when there are a numerous other offerings on the boards right now.

I finally saw Far from Heaven today, the last weekend. I enjoyed the songs, but they are not easy to love hearing them for the first time. I look forward to playing the score over and over when it is released. It is Kelli O'Hara's musical, more so than

anything else she has ever done. That could be a problem for a Broadway run. I wanted to know more about her husband, her maid and her best friend.

I liked Steven Pasquale and Ishiah Johnson, but they are very much supporting actors to O'Hara. If the plays goes to Broadway, please allow Pasquale out of that suit once in a while. I walked behind Steven (in tight shorts) up some stairs after the show. He has a great ass.

Kelli will be busy with her impending motherhood for the foreseeable future. She, and her current co-star, steven Pasquale, are to appear on Bway in the new musical version of The Bridges of Madison County. Previews begin mid-January 2014. Bartlett Sher is directing.

Archived