THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Laptop Market

Rusty Blue
This topic is 4163 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello all,

I'm in the market for some new hardware. I'm looking for a new laptop!

I'll mostly be using it for:

-Word processing

-Image editing (photoshop, etc.)

-Music editing (I use Reason)

-DJ (I use the traktor programs)

-Video calls

-Internetting

I'm leaning more towards an Apple product since the one I have now has lasted me almost 7 years :eek:

Does anyone have experience using the MacBook Pros with Retina display? What about something simpler?

Curious to know what you guys have to say.

All the best!

Rusty

I have a Retina display on an iPad and it is awesome. I can only imagine what it would be like with size. I've been using an iPad almost exclusively for the past few years but have hit a few walls a time or two. I've been leaning toward the Apple Air Book, but I don't get an option for the Retina display.

Retina display is sort of overkill for basic tasks like Word Processing and email, but you've nailed the one place where I'd think it would shine: photo editing.

Don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous. The iPhone 5 is one of the most impressive screens I've ever held in my hand. It's just overkill for most computer uses.

If I was in the market for a laptop, that's the way I'd probably go. My only hesitation is the price. I can pay my mortgage for three months with that amount once I finish adding all the options I'd want.

Go for it! (I'm more than happy to help you spend your money. ;))

You can save some money by buying a refurbished Mac. If you buy from Apple, I believe it comes with a one-year warranty and maybe even a new casing. I don't think the link is easily found on their website, but if you simply google "refurbished Mac" it'll take you there.

Kevin Slater

That's a good point, and most PC makers offer something similar. (I know Dell does, but you have to look to find it.)

The refurbs are often models that someone bought and returned because they didn't like the color of the case or something like that, but they come with original warranty. (People return these things for really stoopid reasons sometimes.)

In Apple's case, even the refurbs are pricey, but not as pricey as the new ones. It's worth looking into if you're going to spend that kind of money anyway.

You can save some money by buying a refurbished Mac. If you buy from Apple, I believe it comes with a one-year warranty and maybe even a new casing. I don't think the link is easily found on their website, but if you simply google "refurbished Mac" it'll take you there.

Kevin Slater

It's easy to find...

1. Go to http://store.apple.com

2. Look down the column on the left side of the screen at the bottom for SPECIAL DEALS

3. Under Special Deals you'll see Refurbished Mac as a link.

I almost always purchase refurbed Macs. And the AppleCare Warranty.

The Retina Display MacBook is AWESOME when photo-editing and video editing.

If you're using a 7 year old Apple Laptop, you're going to be AMAZED at what the RetinaMacBook looks like, does and how fast it is.

This seems to be a topic of rare agreement so far!

I also concur: for image editing, etc, Mac retina screens are totally awesome, and the speed of the new devices is incredible

Interesting to hear about the refurbished stuff. Hadn't looked a that before, and may do so, as I'm planning to upgrade myself soon ... although I don't know if they have any refurbished samples of the newest products I want.

My 2 cents worth: depending on how many files you need to store and carry atround with you (as opposed to having on an external hard drive), and how large the files are ... which basically comes down to the camera you use and the size of its RAW files (here's something raw that I don't disapprove of) you might want to consider the macbook air with retina screen. It is incredibly thin and lightweight, and way easier to carry around than the macbook pro.

Whether the Air it fits your needs depends on the amount of storage space you need for files, and whether size matters to you ... in terms of screen size in this case. (MacBook air is 13"; you can get a MacBookPro with 15", which is the minimum I find that I need for my purposes.)

Interesting to hear about the refurbished stuff. Hadn't looked a that before, and may do so, as I'm planning to upgrade myself soon ... although I don't know if they have any refurbished samples of the newest products I want.

They do often have latest/greatest in refurb. It largely depends on product returns, so there isn't a regular stock level on anything. But it's worth checking every few days until the thing you're looking for shows up. (Unless, of course, you NEED a new computer RIGHT NOW. In that case, get thee to an Apple store! :p)

• 2 weeks later...
They do often have latest/greatest in refurb. It largely depends on product returns, so there isn't a regular stock level on anything. But it's worth checking every few days until the thing you're looking for shows up. (Unless, of course, you NEED a new computer RIGHT NOW. In that case, get thee to an Apple store! :p)

LOL I've been doing okay between an old PC, my tired Mac and the library. I think between those three I've got a fully functional computer. :p

The retina screens are oh, so alluring, and something I think worth saving for. I'd have to put some kind of condom over the thing though :eek::D

Archived