THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Tony Award Nominations

edjames
This topic is 4167 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm not a Tony Awards expert, so can someone explain how Cinderella is nominated for Best Revival of a Musical, yet as also up for Best Book of a Musical?

My best guess is that it is up for "revival" because stage versions began to appear in U.S. theatres by 1961. The New York City Opera produced the musical in 1993 and 1995, with the Fairy Godmother being played by Sally Ann Howes and the Stepmother by Nancy Marchand and Jean Stapleton. It revived the production in 2004 with Eartha Kitt as the Fairy Godmother and Dick Van Patten as the King, among other television stars. A United States tour played from November 2000 through 2001 and starred Kitt as the Fairy Godmother, Deborah Gibson and later Jamie-Lynn Sigler as Cinderella, Paolo Montalbán as the Prince, and a gender-bending Everett Quinton as the Stepmother,[20] stopping at The Theatre at Madison Square Garden in 2001, where Sigler played the title role.

Douglas Carter Beane has "rewritten' the original script. There is no Tony catagory for best book of a revival, so it's all one big lump of noms. Other nominees have "adapted" their scripts which came from other sources, movies, e.g Kinky Boots.

Ed

The Tom Hanks nomination has to be a bad joke. Otherwise, not bad although I think the Nora Ephron play is pretty mediocre, especially considering it's her. Glad to see Cicely Tyson nominated. I thought she was totally brilliant in Trip to Bountiful, which is easily one of the half dozen greatest American plays ever written.

Archived