THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Trip To Bountiful

edjames
This topic is 4167 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Trip To Bountiful started out as a TV play back in 1953 with Lillian Gish. It was adapted for Broadway later that year and ran only 39 performances. In 1985 it was turned into a movie staring the late great Geraldine Page, who won an Academy Award for her perfromance.

This new production stars Cicely Tyson, Vanessa Williams and Cuba Gooding Jr. I saw it last night and all I can say is move over ladies and clear a path up to the podium for Ms Tyson to collect her well-deserved Tony award! This is an excellent production of an often emotional and touching story of an older woman's journey to the town where she was born and raised. I cannot say how much I enjoyed Ms. Tyson's performance. She was mesmerizing. Vanessa Willams was great as the bitchy daughter-in-law and Cuba Gooding Jr gives an appropriate understated performance as the son trying to keep the peace in the household.

On TDF! Highly recommended!

ED

The Trip To Bountiful started out as a TV play back in 1953 with Lillian Gish. It was adapted for Broadway later that year and ran only 39 performances. In 1985 it was turned into a movie staring the late great Geraldine Page, who won an Academy Award for her perfromance.

This new production stars Cicely Tyson, Vanessa Williams and Cuba Gooding Jr. I saw it last night and all I can say is move over ladies and clear a path up to the podium for Ms Tyson to collect her well-deserved Tony award! This is an excellent production of an often emotional and touching story of an older woman's journey to the town where she was born and raised. I cannot say how much I enjoyed Ms. Tyson's performance. She was mesmerizing. Vanessa Willams was great as the bitchy daughter-in-law and Cuba Gooding Jr gives an appropriate understated performance as the son trying to keep the peace in the household.

On TDF! Highly recommended!

ED

I agree with you 100%. I was moved, I was thrilled, I cried, it was so emotionally honest. One of the great American plays and it's nice -- after 30 years -- to see of the great American actresses -- Cicely Tyson -- back on Broadway. I sure hope she gets the Tony but I'm hearing that's not going to be the case. Who knows. Those are some of the strangest voters out there.

And Cuba Gooding -- whose films underwhelm and whose Oscar is one of the worst wins ever -- is terrificly understated, as you say. That may have surprised me most of all.

This is SO highly recommended.

Archived