THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Nance

edjames
This topic is 4137 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In the 1930s, burlesque impresarios welcomed the hilarious comics and musical parodies of vaudeville to their decidedly lowbrow niche. A headliner called "the Nance" was a stereotypically camp homosexual and master of comic double entendre - usually played by a straight man.

Douglas Carter Beane's THE NANCE recreates the naughty, raucous world of burlesque's heyday and tells the backstage story of Chauncey Miles and his fellow performers. At a time when it is easy to play gay and dangerous to be gay, Chauncey's uproarious antics on the stage stand out in marked contrast to his offstage life.

Starring Nathan Lane, this play explores the world of burlesque and gay life in 1939, a time when politicians and the police were cracking down on burlesque theaters and arresting everyone. Chauncey Miles is a burlesque comic and a gay man. When we first see him onstage he's at the Horn and Hardart automat picking up a handsome young man. Newly arrived from Buffalo, Ned has no job, no money and has been sleeping on a park bench. They agree to meet at the newsstand around the corner and Chauncey takes him home. Soon Ned is sharing Chauncey's bed on a full time basis.

Written by Douglas Carter Beane, the burlesque jokes fly fast and furious in this tale. Double entendres are every other word. While making jokes onstage, Chauncey is riddled with anger and rage that his republican comrades have left him down as the noose tightens around the burlesque world and theaters are shut down.

Despite the aura of domestic bliss in his life, Chauncey is too tempted by the sexual public shenanigans going on in NYC to resist the temptation and continues to cruise the streets and parks at night for anonymous sex. Apparently Horn and Hardart was one of the hotbeds of the pickup scene!

The closing of the theater, the end of his partnership with Ned and the disillusionment of his political ideals all tragically weigh heavily on Chauncey.

The show is a play with music and dance. It alternates between life in the front and back of the theater stage. There are a number of well-known burlesque routines and I thought it amusing when the audience chimed in with "Slowly I turn, step by step..." (Guess everyone watches the old I Love Lucy reruns!)

It was an enjoyable show. Nathan Lane, as usual turns in a stellar performance as Chauncey and the supporting cast is very good.

Well worth a ticket to view a slice of gay life way before gay lib....

ED

• 2 weeks later...

Edjames, thanks for your review. I'm seeing "The Nance" next month. One correction to your review: "Slowly I turned, step by step, closer and closer....." is from an Abbott & Costello routine, which preceded Lucy by more than a few years. "NIAGARA FALLS" was the phrase that set it off. I think it was Costello who innocently said, "Niagara Falls," and Bud took care of the rest, which (I think) included trying to choke Lou.

This was more than 60 years ago, but I think I remember it correctly!

We know that Jack O'Brien should have insisted he keep the towel off throughout the Act I and II scenes in the apartment.

Good lord, if Johnny's half as sweet in real life as his character in the play, I'll drop to one knee and ask his hand. Oh, who am I kidding? I'll just drop to both knees.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I saw "The Nance" the other night and loved every minute of it. Nathan Lane, who I've always liked, was at the top of his form. Lewis J. Stadlen was wonderful! I liked the play just as much as the performances. Oddly, many of my straight friends did not care for the play. In fact, two walked out after the first act. I didn't discuss their reasons with them; they are politically liberal, but I think they may have been uncomfortable with the subject.

I recommend it highly. A thouroughly enjoyable evening in the theater!

Archived