THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Breakfast At Tiffany's

edjames
This topic is 4184 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'd suggest you eat breakfast elsewhere. Burdened by the haunting ghost of the 1961 starring George Peppard and Audrey Hepburn, this version has been given a script closer to the novella, and despite that the show falls flat.

Alas, British actress, Emilia Clark, seems to try too hard to be Holly Golightly and her mannerisms also seem to be exaggerated. I kept thinking she looked way too young to portray Holly. Cory Michael Smith (from the recent off-Broadway show "Cock") makes a better impression as Fred.

In the end, it was a nice attempt but it almost put me to sleep. If you have any interest in this production, I'd suggest you go quickly. The theater was half-empty. The mezz was about 25% full and there were empty seats in the orchestra.

And then there was the cat. Everyone seemed to love the cat! Now you know the show doesn't have much to offer when everyone talks about the cat.

Of some note is a late second act bath scene where both lead actors strip down and get in the tub...my reaction? Meh.

ED

I am so sad to say that Ed, you have completely hit it on the head with your review.

I don't know whether to blame the direction, or the seemingly complete lack of character from Emilia Clarke. I thought she looked appropriate, but when she opened her mouth, I couldn't figure out her accent, her persona or her appeal.

The character is so iconic that I cannot imagine anyone pulling it off, but I really felt she was pretty misguided from the get-go.

I also agree that Cory Michael Smith did pretty well. I wish his Southern accent was a little stronger, but I totally bought his idolization of her (if only she'd been someone to idolize...) while fighting his own predilections. H

The party scenes were so unpopulated they seemed awkward, and I fear that Kate Cullen Roberts, as Holly's friend Mag, may have given the worst performance of a drunk that I have ever seen.

And the cat.....

There was a (sadly) rather outspoken woman sitting behind us. During Holly's second scene she stage-whispered to her friend..."SHE'S TERRIBLE."

Later, the cat was handed to Holly, who pet it briefly before it jumped to the floor and ran off. Our friend behind us muttered loudly..."I WISH I WAS THE CAT."

It's on TDF for the first part of next week...I suspect closing notices will be up on Tuesday.

I am so sad to say that Ed, you have completely hit it on the head with your review.

I don't know whether to blame the direction, or the seemingly complete lack of character from Emilia Clarke. I thought she looked appropriate, but when she opened her mouth, I couldn't figure out her accent, her persona or her appeal.

The character is so iconic that I cannot imagine anyone pulling it off, but I really felt she was pretty misguided from the get-go.

I also agree that Cory Michael Smith did pretty well. I wish his Southern accent was a little stronger, but I totally bought his idolization of her (if only she'd been someone to idolize...) while fighting his own predilections. H

The party scenes were so unpopulated they seemed awkward, and I fear that Kate Cullen Roberts, as Holly's friend Mag, may have given the worst performance of a drunk that I have ever seen.

And the cat.....

There was a (sadly) rather outspoken woman sitting behind us. During Holly's second scene she stage-whispered to her friend..."SHE'S TERRIBLE."

Later, the cat was handed to Holly, who pet it briefly before it jumped to the floor and ran off. Our friend behind us muttered loudly..."I WISH I WAS THE CAT."

It's on TDF for the first part of next week...I suspect closing notices will be up on Tuesday.

Forgive us philistines far from the lights of Broadway. But what is TDF?

Gman

TDF is the Theater Development Fund which runs the tkts half-price booth in Times Square. They also have an on-line discount program for seniors, union members and folks in the arts, which is a terrific way to see theater in an affordable manner, (especially if you're not particular about your seats.)

tdf.org. Annual membership is just below $30, and worth it even if you're only coming for a long weekend, as many good things are listed. Lots of off-Broadway, lots of concerts at LIncoln Center, and dance performances throughout the city, and Broadway things that are either in previews or have been around for awhile. Shows are listed from about ten days before performances, to the day before.

The hot hot hot things aren't up, Wicked, Jersey Boys, etc...but many worthy things are. Offering prices vary, but Broadway musicals are about $45, Broadway plays are about $40, and off-Broadway ranges from about $35 down to $9 for lots of off-off-off stuff.

There are other places to look for discounts: Broadwaybox.com, playbill.com, and theatermania.com often have offers for many shows for about 40% off. They're all free to join.

And if you're a very regular goer, it behooves you to join audience extras, or play-by-play which are seat-filling organizations...for $99/year, you can check daily for shows that have empty seats for that night...(or the next) and the price is $4.

• 3 weeks later...
I may be having a senior moment, but wasn't there a musical adaptation of Breakfast at Tiffany's back in the early 70's that starred Mary Tyler Moore and Richard Chamberlain which also closed very quickly?

YES...1966. It opened and closedin previews and closed four nights later. Producer David Merrick closed it down rather than open to disastorous reviews. It had an impressive list of people working on it, however,the performance ran for 4 hours!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakfast_at_Tiffany's_(musical)

I may be having a senior moment, but wasn't there a musical adaptation of Breakfast at Tiffany's back in the early 70's that starred Mary Tyler Moore and Richard Chamberlain which also closed very quickly?

For some reason they cut a cast album on this. I have it in my collection and it is TERRIBLE! Not one memorable or good song in it.

Archived