THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Hands on a Hardbody

foxy
This topic is 4190 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw this today in preview and I really enjoyed it. The plot is based on a documentary of an event that took place in Longview Texas where a number of people, all struggling, enter a contest to win a Nissan pickup truck. They have to keep their hands on the truck until the last one standing wins the truck. The book was written by Doug Wright who wrote "I Am My Own Wife". The cast is a strong one with Keith Carradine and Hunter Foster as the bigger names. Each performer gets their time in the spotlight to tell their story, somewhat along the lines of "Chorus Line". The music is country and western/gospel, quite emotional and touching and at times very funny. The cast breaks away at times from holding onto the truck which allows for some inventive choreography. The truck is pushed around on the stage by the performers for some real stage magic. It got a well deserved standing ovation at the end. Highly recommend it.

Thanks foxy... I also saw this musical in previews... I was curious as to how a play about keeping your hands on a red pickup truck could be of any interest but it was. A very talented and likeable cast that sings about their lives, struggles, and why they entered this contest... Glad to see some good shows opening on Broadway.

http://www.handsonahardbody.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I caught this over the weekend, and will be so curious to see how the reviewers treat it. I am still thinking about it, so that's a good sign. It's not a particularly conventional book musical...the songs are more character pieces, but I came away having had a very nice evening of the theater.

The performers are very strong. I have always liked Keith Carradine and Hunter Foster is very engaging as always. A treat to see Dale Soule who introduced two of my favorite Steven Schwartz songs: Lion Tamer and West End Avenue in The Magic Show. My, her voice hasn't held up, but was perfect for the character that she now plays...and she gets to sing the only song that actually advances the plot.

Keala Settle has a wonderful gospel/percussive number that steals the show and if there's a God, <Amen> will bring her a Tony nomination. It's the moment in the first act that actually lights the fuse and draws in the audience.

I hope that this receives enough positive feedback from the critics that it runs long enough for a CD to be made. Then it can tour for a long time in the South...and in Texas. And play every regional, community, and college theater.

I got my ticket on a tdf discount, so it was $40, but they sell day-of rush tickets for $32 cash every morning, and a friend saw it that way...had a terrific seat, better than mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived