THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Wolfgang Sawallisch

Charlie
This topic is 4233 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Sawallisch died yesterday at 89. I never saw him conduct opera in Munich, but I saw him many times when he conducted the Phila. Orchestra in the days when I had a subscription there. This afternoon my local classical music station, KUSC in LA, in his memory played a recording of him conducting the Schumann "Spring" symphony with the Dresden State Orchestra, and it was an eye-opener for me, like the first time I heard Bernstein conduct the Beethoven Fifth; I had heard it performed many times before, but suddenly it seemed completely fresh.

He was definitely an excellent conductor. I saw him conduct the Philadelphia many times at Carnegie Hall, back when they did a regular NY subscription series, and always found it a satisfying experience. He had a long and productive career, and made many treasurable recordings, especially the complete Schumann symphonies for EMI - twice (second time with Philadelphia).

While he was basically a mainstream German rep conductor and will be remembered as such... Beethoven to Bruckner more or less... he did make some surprising detours into the realm of Italian opera (my main area of interest) and not only in German speaking countries, but in Italy as well. Definitely one of the better old school conductors out there.

My introduction to Wagner was a performance of "The Flying Dutchman " at the Bavarian State Opera in Munich in 1980. Sawallisch was the conductor, and Catarina Ligendza was the Senta. It was a wonderful performance. He was the recipient of wild applause. The Munich audience seemed to idolize him.

I remember his interpretation of 'Swan Lake' with the Philadelphia. I am not a fan of 'Swan Lake', but he made it sound really interesting - almost belligerent. It was unforgettable.

Found an excerpt, this one with the Israel Philarmonic:

or better still, here is the 'finale':

Archived