THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Ann: The Ann Richards Play

dfw2sfo
This topic is 4218 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Would love to see this show if I was well enough to travel. Ann Richards was always one of my favorite political wits. I will never forget what was perhaps her most famous line at a convention speech when speaking of George HW Bush (I believe) said " Poor George, he can't help it. He was born with a silver foot in his mouth.". I am sure this show will bring back some good memories. I look forward to a review from one of our guys here when they get a chance.

Ann

Saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Holland Taylor is terrific.

Foxy, totally agree... It's playing at Lincoln Center's Vivian Beaumont theater. The theater itself looks like you're seated in a lecture hall at the UN... Gov. Ann Richards is portrayed brilliantly by Holland Taylor. If all you remember about this Texas governor is that she was once the keynote speaker at the Democratic Convention, this play is going to fill you in on her amazing life. The play was written by Holland Taylor... Remember it's ANN not ANNIE. :)

Saw this last night and agree that it's really splendid. At intermission, I talked with friends about how much we were enjoying it, but couldn't really see how the second act was going to be any different or take it anywhere...but we were mistaken. It was even stronger and solidified her persona so subtly. The performance is terrific, but the writing is almost better. It provides a good hour of believable "dialogue" with one person on stage, and offers a real glimpse into Richards' life/ideology. It does get a bit cliche at the end, but that's to be expected...and in the framework of making a speech about being active in government, etc., it worked.

I saw this as a Lincoln Center member, but there are a number of discounts available, including many performances on tdf.

I'm seeing this April 18. (A friend and I have a LCT subscription.) I met Ann Richards once at a political event here in NYC. After her term as governor she stayed active in politics and I think lived in NYC for a while. I think the event was some kind of gay-related fundraiser in a restaurant in the theater district. Ann was very gay-friendly for a politician of her generation, and she was very gracious and down-to-earth when meeting people in that kind of setting. We had a nice chat. So I'm looking forward to this one quite eagerly.

L.A. Times today

The Los Angeles Times has a very nice article about the play and Ms. Taylor in today's edition. I learned many things from this article:

for example, I did not know that Ms. Taylor had written the play (in fact a work in progress over the last few years). I also didn't know she was 70!. I wish I had her energy.

I appreciate the reviews from posters here. I won't be well enough to travel to New York. I can only hope she makes the trek west after the run in NYC.

I hate to spoil everyone's fun, but all of you are raising expectations far beyond what you should. I had a pleasant time last night, but this is very, very light and frothy stuff. When the most memorable moment for me was a dirty joke (funny!), that says something. I paid member's price, which is about $40. If I had to pay more, I'd feel cheated. Yes, Taylor Holland is good, and seemed to be really enjoying herself, but a little goes a long way in this confection.

What the critics had to say...

I hate to spoil everyone's fun... Yes, Taylor Holland is good, and seemed to be really enjoying herself, but a little goes a long way in this confection.

Looks like the critics agree with you. "Ann" opened last night to mediocre reviews... High praises for Taylor Holland.

http://theater.nytimes.com/2013/03/08/theater/reviews/ann-with-holland-taylor-at-vivian-beaumont-theater.html?ref=theater

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/lone_star_tries_to_bring_texas_gov_qD3omfihrfSWmnhyRLq7eL

http://www.alamogordonews.com/ci_22742369/review-holland-taylors-ann-sweet-valentine

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/dailymusto/2013/03/holland_taylor.php

It was just so so and I wish I had seen something else instead.

I'm not going to be able to get to NYC to see it. But I wonder if the dislike doesn't have to do with the presentation itself. I'm sure everyone who has seen it is a lot more of a knowledgable theater goer than myself. But one person shows tend not to be my favorite. I remember seeing the movie of James Whitmore's show of Harry Truman. Of course I was very young. I remember liking it- but being bored at the same time.

As for this show, being a Texan and having admired Ms. Taylor for years, I'd probably see it if I were in town. I did see a clip from the show on the New York Times website, I can tell you from what I remember of Ann Richards, her drawl was much more twangy than Ms. Taylor's.

Gman

I'm a little late to this party...but I agree with what's been said so far.

It's a good play and it's incredible that she pulls the 2 hour performance off.

Nonetheless, 2 hours is a long time to listen to one person babble on.....even if it is the ghost of the amazing Ann Richards.

It would have been a phenomenal 45 min one act show....at 2 hours?...it's just so-so.

I'm a little late to this party...but I agree with what's been said so far.

It's a good play and it's incredible that she pulls the 2 hour performance off.

Nonetheless, 2 hours is a long time to listen to one person babble on.....even if it is the ghost of the amazing Ann Richards.

It would have been a phenomenal 45 min one act show....at 2 hours?...it's just so-so.

It isn't a good play and she doesn't give a good performance. It's a two hour waste of time. It would have been a nice 5 minute sketch on SNL.

Ann Richards, for the 17 people who even remember who she is, isn't worth the effort to write a play about which I think is exactly what happened here.

I'm sorry operalover21. I keep forgetting that you are the only one that is allowed to have an opinion and that your word is law on the subject of all things cultural. I have been remiss in subscribing to the imperious statements that define this board.

Please forgive.

I will try to adhere better to the thought that everything sucks unless you say so, and that your word is LAW when it comes to what makes a good play, or a good performance.

It's going to be hard, but I can succeed in spending a lot of money to watch a lot of crap in this town.

And do hope I can make a quick stop-over into sarcastic disdain before I settle into jaded displeasure, but I think that only then will I truly achieve the level of joy that you apparently get from the theater.

And I look forward to the day that I can get a great evening's entertainment standing on the corner of 42nd and Broadway...just as I used to in the days before Disney.

I'm sorry operalover21. I keep forgetting that you are the only one that is allowed to have an opinion and that your word is law on the subject of all things cultural. I have been remiss in subscribing to the imperious statements that define this board.

Please forgive.

I will try to adhere better to the thought that everything sucks unless you say so, and that your word is LAW when it comes to what makes a good play, or a good performance.

It's going to be hard, but I can succeed in spending a lot of money to watch a lot of crap in this town.

And do hope I can make a quick stop-over into sarcastic disdain before I settle into jaded displeasure, but I think that only then will I truly achieve the level of joy that you apparently get from the theater.

And I look forward to the day that I can get a great evening's entertainment standing on the corner of 42nd and Broadway...just as I used to in the days before Disney.

Apology accepted.

The audience can make a show like this worth seeing. Carrie Fisher's one woman show ran out of gas in a couple places, but the audience of mostly middle aged, bridge and tunnel women recalling Lize, Debbie and Eddie kept things form going off the rails.

The audience can make a show like this worth seeing. Carrie Fisher's one woman show ran out of gas in a couple places, but the audience of mostly middle aged, bridge and tunnel women recalling Lize, Debbie and Eddie kept things form going off the rails.

You're exactly right. I expected that show to be SO funny and it really sagged in several places. By far, her funniest bit was the flow chart of how she's related to just about everyone in Hollywood. She's much funnier when she's drunk on a talk show.

You're exactly right. I expected that show to be SO funny and it really sagged in several places. By far, her funniest bit was the flow chart of how she's related to just about everyone in Hollywood. She's much funnier when she's drunk on a talk show.

I've heard Carrie Fisher on radio shows and maybe seen her on some of the interview shows. Her voice always sounds slurred to me. And I just keep thinking, she must be on a lot of medications to stay stable- so sad.

Gman

Archived