THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Gravity and Grace: Monumental Works by El Anatsui

foxy
This topic is 4245 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Featured on the first page of Sunday's NY Times Arts & Leisure is an article about El Anatsui, Africa's foremost contemporary sculptor. Brought to world attention at the Venice Biennale, he is now having his first major solo exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum http://www.brooklynmuseum.org Feb. 8th thru August 4. There's a terrific little film showing the hanging of several of these sculptures.

He creates these astounding wall hangings from thousands of discarded aluminum bottle caps. The Metropolitan Museum of Art has a couple of his works and they are incredibly beautiful. They have to be seen to be believed. Definitely worth a trip out to Brooklyn to one of my favorite museums.

I saw this exhibit today and highly recommend it. I will go back and see it again several times. There are wonderful films in the exhibit explaining how they are made. Hard to believe such beautiful things can be made from what is essentially garbage. Even if you aren't much into art or museums this is well worth your time. I will try to post some photos from my iPhone once I figure out how to do it.

Archived