THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Renee Fleming/Susan Graham concert

Charlie
This topic is 4266 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Palm Springs is in the desert in more ways than one, so when I read a rave review for the ladies' concert on Belle Epoque French music at the Disney, I immediately bought the last available ticket for their appearance at the McCallum Theater here last night. (I was told it was the last ticket, but in fact I noticed a number of empty seats in the most expensive areas.) I had never seen Graham before, but I first saw Fleming very early in her career and was blown away then by the sheer gorgeousness of the voice; it has gotten heavier over the years, and the articulation--at least last night--muddier (I needed to look at the text to know what words she was singing much of the time). Bradley Moore was the accompanist, and he also played "Clair de lune." Most of the program was light salon music--Saint-Saens, Debussy, Faure, Delibes, Hahn, Messager--with the "Flower duet" from Lakme and the Barcarole from Hoffman at the end, and charming patter from the ladies in between songs. Yes, they both looked ravishing and sang beautifully, including encores, climaxing with the duet from Hansel and Gretel. The biggest hand, however, came for Graham when she sat down at the piano herself and sang Piaf's "La vie en rose," which made me wish there had been more of that sort of thing in the rest of the program. However, I'll take whatever I can get within a twenty minute drive from home.

Predictably, the average age of the audience was probably around 75.

Archived