THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Clock at MoMA

foxy
This topic is 4276 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I was in art school, if a student brought in a project that had obviously taken a great deal of time and effort, it was sometimes sneered at by other students who would call it "busy work". There was often a hint of jealousy attached to this rather snide remark. However the same thought entered my mind when I saw about 30 minutes of the 24 hour film "The Clock" by Christian Marclay. You can't help but be impressed that he had gone through thousands of film clips to arrive at this film shown in real time. I found myself checking my watch and indeed the film was right in synch. It is made up of, and I'm quoting from MoMA's website, http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/1333, "100 years of cinema history, a "tour de force" that won the Golden Lion award at the 2011 Venice Biennale. Well for all the work that must have gone into it I guess he deserves it. They did open the museum at one point so that movie goers could watch the entire 24 hours. Think of all the bathroom breaks that would entail! So I do recommend at least 30 minutes of this if you are willing to put up with the line to see it. It only took me 10 minutes to get in and I may go back and use my membership card to get my foot in the door early. What I find interesting about "art" is how hard it is to put your finger on it. Maybe the old saying "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like" is perfectly valid.

When I was in art school, if a student brought in a project that had obviously taken a great deal of time and effort, it was sometimes sneered at by other students who would call it "busy work". There was often a hint of jealousy attached to this rather snide remark. However the same thought entered my mind when I saw about 30 minutes of the 24 hour film "The Clock" by Christian Marclay. You can't help but be impressed that he had gone through thousands of film clips to arrive at this film shown in real time. I found myself checking my watch and indeed the film was right in synch. It is made up of, and I'm quoting from MoMA's website, http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/1333, "100 years of cinema history, a "tour de force" that won the Golden Lion award at the 2011 Venice Biennale. Well for all the work that must have gone into it I guess he deserves it. They did open the museum at one point so that movie goers could watch the entire 24 hours. Think of all the bathroom breaks that would entail! So I do recommend at least 30 minutes of this if you are willing to put up with the line to see it. It only took me 10 minutes to get in and I may go back and use my membership card to get my foot in the door early. What I find interesting about "art" is how hard it is to put your finger on it. Maybe the old saying "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like" is perfectly valid.

It's just like obscenity. As Justice Powell said "I know it when I see it."

When I was in art school, if a student brought in a project that had obviously taken a great deal of time and effort, it was sometimes sneered at by other students who would call it "busy work".

That it lacked facilitas, the ancients' concept of 'ease of execution.' Rediscovered and refined during the Renaissance to denote carrying off the very difficult with the appearance of effortlessness.

Effective approach to many kinds of public endeavor, when we can manage it.

Archived