THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Opinions, Please

Lucky
This topic is 4278 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My friend and I were to see Dead Accounts, but are now scrambling for a replacement.

Any opinions on:

The Accidental Pervert

My Name is Asher Lev

Old Jews Telling Jokes

5 Lesbians Eating A Quiche

Forbidden Broadway

Cat on Hot Roof

Any show not listed has either been seen or already rejected!

I saw Asher Lev and liked it alot. The young actor who plays Asher Lev is gorgeous, and the play is very moving, if you are curious about life in an orthodox Jewish community.

This afternoon I saw Golden Age and can recommend it, especially to opera lovers. (Terrence McNally's imaginative dramatization of backstage doings at the premiere performance in 1835 of Bellini's "I Puritani".)

I saw "working" this afternoon, which I would highly recommend - but it was actually the last performance. But there was one super-cute young guy in this show, named Jay Armstrong Johnson, who will be opening on Broadway in a few months in a new musical called Hands on a Hardbody. That should be worth seeing. Meantime google Mr. Johnson and see if you agree with me that he's a real cutie.

NLB Live

Lucky,

I'm sure you are devastated by the closing of Dead Accounts and the lost opportunity to see one of your favorite actors, Norbert Leo Butz perform again. However, although I'm not sure of your trip dates but perhaps this might peek your interest....NLB is making a performance/CD signing appearance at the UpperEast Side (86th St) Barnes & Noble on Tuesday, January 15 at 5PM, so if your in town, you might want to take advantage of this opportunity to personally meet Mr. Butz....

ED

PS - I am seing My Name is Asher Lev tomorrow night...I'll let you know how it was.

Fortunately, My Name Is Asher Lev, lived up to all my expectations. I read the book back in '72 and found it a great read. For fans of the book, the play does not disappoint. The dramatic confrontation of religion and art is expertly told and acted here. Three very fine actors, two of whom play multiple roles, present the anquish that faces an orthodox hasidic Jewish couple and their son when his talent for drawing and art conflict with the Talmudic teachings of their religion. Fortunately, through the rebbe, Asher meets a successful Jewish artist who helps Asher make his life changing decision. A very fine play running about 1 hour and forty minutes, without intermission.

ED

My Name is Asher Lev

You don't have to be an Orthodox Jew to appreciate this wonderfully told story of a young man's struggle with religious tradition and his quest to pursue his dreams. The cast of 3 does an excellent job in portraying their characters and making you feel part of their kitchen as the story unfolds. The play is 90 minutes with no intermission. Not the most comfortable theater.

You don't have to be an Orthodox Jew to appreciate this wonderfully told story of a young man's struggle with religious tradition and his quest to pursue his dreams. The cast of 3 does an excellent job in portraying their characters and making you feel part of their kitchen as the story unfolds. The play is 90 minutes with no intermission. Not the most comfortable theater.

Sorry, Cooper but I miss getting Lucky's opinions of Broadway and Off-Broadway shows. You mentioned in another thread that Lucky is visiting New York. It's awful that he will no longer be here to guide this forum.

Archived