THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Les Miserables

jackhammer91406
This topic is 4274 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I looked back to see if there was already a thread on this new film, but couldn't find one (or was too lazy to look past the 4th page.

I have seen this musical drama at least a dozen times in various productions and tours including the recent 25th anniversary staging last season (which I must say was surprisingly my favorite). To say I like it would be an understatement.

I saw the new film this afternoon and there is a very real danger that I will slip into hyperbole I enjoyed it so much. The most striking thing about the film I saw was the material was SO intimate. The decision to have the actors sing their roles "live" at the time of filming allowed them to be filmed acting their roles instead of just singing. The difference is incredible. In the few moments during the film when I was able to separate myself, I noticed how utterly soundless the auditorium was. There was none of the normal coughing, rustling, wrappers crackling and seats squeaking.

As I say, the performances were so intimate, it seemed perfectly natural for the actors to sing their dialogue rather than speak it. The songs also had a very textural feel to them. The only noises I heard near the end as some characters started to die, were sniffles as members of the audience struggled to maintain their composure. At the end I found my allergies acting up as well.

I know the "professional" reviewers have been mixed in their opinions, but I saw no disbelievers today in a theater that was very full for a matinee performance. I also heard loud applause at the end and during the credits as individual actor's names came on the screen.

All of the actors did a very good job with Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Eddie Redmayne and Russell Crowe doing an outstanding job as Jean Valjean, Fantine, Mariius and Javert respectively in my opinion.

Your opinion may differ but I think you may never see another film of this material done with as much respect. The awards season is upon us and my ballot will contain several votes from this production.

A really amazing film

The film does come in a little over 2hrs. 30mins. But considering the cost of seeing the film is 1/10 of what a Broadway show would cost with the same time investment, I think it's a good bet. I saw an enhanced screening (larger screen, digital picture and sound). My senior off peak ticket was a little over $13. I never once felt like the film was too long.

I am sure some will have a different opinion, but for me this film is now my favorite production. The staging of the original with the turntable was always great, but the intimacy of the performances and the grandeur of the visuals in this film make it my new favorite.

The decision is yours of course whether to wait to see it at home or in a theater. As for the 100% singing, this is the thing I tried to comment on in my review. Unlike the stage versions which are almost concert like in their "stand and sing" approach, this film is very different. While there are some moments of spoken dialogue, the bulk of the dialogue is sung. BUT unlike "stand and sing" movie musicals, this film is so intimate that the sung dialogue seems like spoken dialogue to me.

The film will not be for everyone, and each one knows his limits best. I was trying to give an observation relative to how different the film feels because the songs are sung live, so all of the pain, anguish, fear, despair and yes even hope come through the acting of the songs rather than the singing of the songs.

As for seeing a film at home or in a theater, my feeling has always been that seeing anything in a theater is a shared experience whether live or film. The other members of an audience contribute their emotional reactions (with your own) for an "in this moment" shared experience. For me, there isn't any other sensation quite like it, but then it was my field for 30+ years and I took such enjoyment being involved in it. Seeing something in my home is more to me for checking out details and analyzing plot, acting, and design. (deconstructing if you will), and also enjoying once again some favorite films.

Hope that helps explain it better

As for seeing a film at home or in a theater, my feeling has always been that seeing anything in a theater is a shared experience whether live or film. The other members of an audience contribute their emotional reactions (with your own) for an "in this moment" shared experience. For me, there isn't any other sensation quite like it, .

I plan to see the film after I get over a lingering virus.

I agree in general about seeing anything with an audience, rather than at home. To me, it applies much more to a Broadway show & live theater in general or a concert than a film. The exception would be a comedy film. It's been several decades since I saw Les Miserables, so there may be more light moments in the musical than I remember now.

Looking forward to seeing Seyfried, Cohen, Redmayne and Tveit.

I'm a big fan of the show and hope I can find time to see the film on its first run. Otherwise, I'll have to wait for the video. Usually I see lots of films in December, but this December I've just gotten so busy that carving out a block of time to see something like this is challenging. Also, I'm part of the older set whose prostate presents challenges to sitting through a 2-1/2 hour movie without a bathroom break. I look back fondly at the time when some really long films had intermissions. Example, Lawrence of Arabia! Nothing worse than having to run out to the restroom during the film and miss some of it....

Just saw the movie two days ago - it's an intense experience. I agree with the observation about how intimate it is - there are many closeups of the actors singing that really draw you in to the emotion of the piece. I was bowled over by Anne Hathaway's I Dreamed a Dream. Her performance is a musical/dramatic tour de force. It's like you're hearing it for the first time and you really feel the desperate hopelessness of Fontine's life. But that's just one example that is repeated many times during the movie.

Normally I have trouble with movie musicals - the musical is such an unrealistic medium and the cinema is the opposite; I find that that juxtaposition is usually unsatisfactory. But the acting and singing in Les Miz is so convincing that I found I just went along with it. So did the rest of the audience who were utterly spellbound during the entire show. I loved it on the stage and now I love it as a movie-musical. See it. (By the way, the comment about an intermission is right on the money - I had to run to the john at one point and missed Eponine getting shot - made it back in time to see and hear her die in Marius's arms - wonderful, a hanky moment if ever there was one.)

Thanks for sharing Jackhammer. Saw it myself just last evening. I saw Hugh Jackman on Broadway and know the man can sing and dance, but I was still very much blown away by the energy, intimacy, and talent of him and the rest of the cast. The film was epic in my opinion. Part of me wants to find fault with Russell Crowe's singing, as it was very blustery, direct, intense, and rigid, but it perfectly suited the deameanor of his role. I cried at the end. And I also, went home and promptly, thoroughly flossed and brushed my teeth. They certainly took a historical perspective on oral hygiene! Nonetheless, I will see again and was deeply moved by it.

Thanks for sharing Jackhammer. Saw it myself just last evening. I saw Hugh Jackman on Broadway and know the man can sing and dance, but I was still very much blown away by the energy, intimacy, and talent of him and the rest of the cast. The film was epic in my opinion. Part of me wants to find fault with Russell Crowe's singing, as it was very blustery, direct, intense, and rigid, but it perfectly suited the deameanor of his role. I cried at the end. And I also, went home and promptly, thoroughly flossed and brushed my teeth. They certainly took a historical perspective on oral hygiene! Nonetheless, I will see again and was deeply moved by it.

I thought it was terrific although not entirely flawless. I understand what Crowe was trying to do and I also understand he was hoping for some re-dos in the studio which director Tom Hooper didn't allow. It's a shame since he sings flat most of the time and that's a problem for a musician like myself. Also, Jackman gives a tremendous performance but I feel he resorts to using head voice way too often. I realize it's because the stuff is outside his normal vocal range (why they didn't transpose some of the stuff down I don't understand). But his head voice has a very shrill tone to it and it's most noticeable on "Bring Him Home."

I also wish there were more medium and long shots; there's way too many close-ups but I understand what Hooper was trying to do.

All that being said, it's a really great movie and an even greater achievement because of it audaciousness. As I said when I reviewed it here when I saw the preview for theater folk a few months ago, it's the film of the year as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure LINCOLN will pick up most of the prizes. It's a good film but it's also highly conventional. This was daring and the fact that is succeeds as much as it does is a testament to its creators.

Btw, I went home and listened to the OBC album which I hadn't heard in 25 years. Amazingly, with one glaring exception -- Colm Wilkinson -- all of the singers were fairly mediocre. Nothing special, their film counterparts were better. And those synthesizer-laden arrangements are just awful. This is a score that cries out for a full orchestra.

If there is one moment that I think will be remember as the "one movie moment" of 2012 it is the performance of Anne Hathaway in this film. She is breath-taking. Every time I've seen the film, people have broken into applause at the end of "I Dreamed a Dream." When's the last time that's happened?

Operalover, you raise some valid points - while I thought Jackman was terrific, I too found Bring Him Home to be a bit uncomfortable vocally. The song is so intimate, I would have preferred a somewhat lower key that would have allowed for a more nuanced vocal line.

Totally on target about Anne Hathaway.

I've got to go back to my OBC set and look/listen - my recollection was that the singing was pretty good.

Interestingly, as I watched the credits at the end of the movie, I'm sure Colm Wilkinson was in the movie cast, but I didn't see what role. Anyone notice?

Operalover, you raise some valid points - while I thought Jackman was terrific, I too found Bring Him Home to be a bit uncomfortable vocally. The song is so intimate, I would have preferred a somewhat lower key that would have allowed for a more nuanced vocal line.

I've got to go back to my OBC set and look/listen - my recollection was that the singing was pretty good.

Interestingly, as I watched the credits at the end of the movie, I'm sure Colm Wilkinson was in the movie cast, but I didn't see what role. Anyone notice?

I thought the two cameos of Colm Wilkinson in the film were absolutely masterstrokes. I could forgive any of the flaws for the fact that Hooper saw fit to do this. He plays the bishop who gives Jean his start near the beginning of the film and then he appears again at the end to "welcome" him "home." I got chills, I gotta tell ya.

I was actually quite stunned at how dull I thought most of the singers were when I re-listened to the OBC. The Fantine is really shrill.

Spot on about Jackman and Bring Him Home. It should be a supremely moving moment and Jackman couldn't really pull it off vocally in that key. A shame, I thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the comments about "Bring Him Home" and it would have been a better choice to lower it a bit for him. Have to confess the close upof Hugh Jackman and his intensity carried it for me. You are right on about Anne Hathaway. She deserves the award and recognition. The two times I have seen, the audience erupted into applause after her performance during the movie. I, for one, did not know the breadth of her talents.

I agree with the comments about "Bring Him Home" and it would have been a better choice to lower it a bit for him. Have to confess the close upof Hugh Jackman and his intensity carried it for me. You are right on about Anne Hathaway. She deserves the award and recognition. The two times I have seen, the audience erupted into applause after her performance during the movie. I, for one, did not know the breadth of her talents.

I loved Tina Fey and Amy Poehler on the Globes when the said of Anne Hathaway in Les Mis (and I'm paraphrasing here):

"Amazing. I haven't seen abandonment and loneliness portrayed that brilliantly since you hosted the Oscars with James Franco."

LOL.

Archived