THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Donating to Local Theater

Lucky
This topic is 4294 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This is the season when we receive many requests to donate to local theater, and I do what I can. But the request I received this Christmas Eve was a bit unusual. It came from the Palm Canyon Theatre, our local amateur venue which either badly botches beloved shows or shows surprising skill when you would least expect it. The director is a woman who seems to find a role for herself in most productions.

One thing the theater does is provide a summer program in theater for local youth, and it is for these children that the director seeks our funds...from $25,000. Okay, the next sentence is "To $25.00." The director writes: "Please help out these future artists with their dreams!! Please help the children of tomorrow follow their dreams! People give to cancer, stroke, etc. but what about all of the people who cannot afford to give their children, their normal children, what they crave? (Which is also true for the rest of the US.")

The summer camp is often compared to child sitting for parents who do not want to pay a sitter. And, in fact, even though some of these children do appear in future productions, few do. For West Side Story, the worst production ever seen on this stage, the Sharks and Jets were mostly adults who couldn't begin to pass for gang members, or dancers either, for that matter.

But, it is the children of the future I am concened about. These as yet unborn children deserve our contributions, especially if they turn out normal and have cravings. Is it not our duty to satisfy them?

Lucky,

As you might imagine, in Chicago we get many requests for donations. The two that I donate to are Pride Films and Plays, http://www.pridefilmsandplays.com; and Hell in a Handbag Theatre, http://www.handbagproductions.org. PFP is managed by David Zak who used to manage the old Bailiwick Theatre group. PFP uses their donations to support young actors, playwrights, and film producers. It is a great organization. Handbag puts on crazy fun plays all year long with guys in drag for many of the roles.

Archived