THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Lincoln reconsidered

operalover21
This topic is 4303 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I first saw Lincoln a month ago, it was a rough cut without music and at home on a smallish type screen. This past weekend I went with a group of friends to see it in a theater and I've had some further, revised thoughts.

First, I still find Sally Field 20 years too old for the part which she is. But I liked the performance better this time although it is they typical Sally Field performance with the same 3 emotions and facial expressions she's been doing for 35 years.

Daniel Day-Lewis really is magnificent but has to be seen on the big screen to be fully appreciated. I enjoyed his performance much more this time. I also noticed how perfectly cast as the secondary roles were. In particular, Tommy Lee Jones is really wonderful as Thaddeus Stevens and his final scene is very touching.

There are still the usual Spielberg touches that drive me crazy -- lighting that makes no sense, the cliched and unnecessary opening ... and I do wish that the film didn't have that final tableau which was corny. I also think a little more on Lincoln's death would have wrapped it up better.

But I recommend it highly at this point.

Archived