THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Galina Vishnevskaya dies at 86

operalover21
This topic is 4304 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Ironically I just read a review of the official La Scala CD release of the 1964 Turandot where Vishnevskaya is Liu opposite the Turandot and Calaf of that powerhouse combination of Nilsson and Corelli. I would have thought that her voice would be too large for the gentle Liu, but apparently she was able to pull it off, and quite effectively so. At any rate, I always thought of her as more of a Tosca or Russian rep type soprano. Still she was a very talented artist who contributed much to the world of opera in her day.

She wrote a very interesting autobiography. She gave great insight into to problems encountered by artists during the Soviet era. She also recounts her Met debut in '61 in Aida. She was to play the title role opposite John Vickers, and when she went for her costume fitting, found dull and shapeless robe designed for her character in this production not to her liking. She "happened" to have her Bolshoi costume with her. Bright red, form fitting, and off the shoulder, she felt she would make a more memorable impression. She apparently refused to go on unless she could wear her costume. The management relented if I remember correctly.

I'm sorry I missed this. I never got hear her in person. For me, any review of her life's work just wouldn't be complete without mention of her collaboration and her part in inspiring Benjamin Britten's War Requiem. To me and many critics, the greatest piece of music composed after WWII. A piece of music that will always hold the most important place in my heart and my soul. And i can hear her in my head on the recording made with Benjamin Britten, Peter Pears and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau.

[video=youtube;d55wp3F_yQ8]

Requiescant in pace. Mme. Vishnevskaya.

Let us sleep now.

Archived