THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Lisa della Casa dies at 93

operalover21
This topic is 4308 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

One of the greatest Strauss and Mozart sopranos of the 20th century has died in Vienna at the age of 93. She was considered the pre-eminent Arabella and left a marvelous legacy of great recordings. When I first started to show an interest in Strauss in my early 20s it was she and Elisabeth Schwarzkopf who were my touchstones. I missed seeing her in person but I wrote to her at one point and she wrote back and included a beautiful autographed photo of herself as Arabella. It is framed and on the wall of my den. She will be missed.

I had a number of her recordings on LP years ago, but I think I have only one CD now. Like Schwarzkopf, she was a glamourous diva who was often photographed wrapped in furs offstage. She limited her roles almost exclusively to Strauss and Mozart, for which she seemed ideally suited. I would love to have seen her in "Capriccio."

Speaking of Schwartzkopf, a friend of mine ran into Walter Legge-whom he knew professionally--in an airport lounge, where they had a long conversation. Legge was accompanied by a dumpy hausfrau, and it wasn't until she spoke that my friend realized it was Schwartzkopf! When there were no cameras, her image was completely different.

I had a number of her recordings on LP years ago, but I think I have only one CD now. Like Schwarzkopf, she was a glamourous diva who was often photographed wrapped in furs offstage. She limited her roles almost exclusively to Strauss and Mozart, for which she seemed ideally suited. I would love to have seen her in "Capriccio."

Speaking of Schwartzkopf, a friend of mine ran into Walter Legge-whom he knew professionally--in an airport lounge, where they had a long conversation. Legge was accompanied by a dumpy hausfrau, and it wasn't until she spoke that my friend realized it was Schwartzkopf! When there were no cameras, her image was completely different.

There's no question that, at home, Schwarzkopf was not glamorous. But she was never "dumpy."

Archived