THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

New York Film Critics Circle Awards announced

operalover21
This topic is 4317 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For 2012:

Best Picture: Zero Dark Thirty

Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow, Zero Dark Thirty

Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln

Best Actress: Rachel Weisz, The Deep Blue Sea

Best Supporting Actor: Michael McConnaughey, Magic Mike and Bernie

Best Supporting Actress: Sally Field

Two comments: The award to Sally Field is completely ridiculous. The award to Rachel Weisz I can't figure out because I saw that film in 2011 in New York ... why are they just getting around to it?

Magic Mike is the only film of the above which I have seen. I assume that the awards people have their own prejudices, but given that their job is to be critics, it says something when they can agree enough to come to a consensus on what films deserve these awards. One might disagree with one or the other, but that's the nature of the beast. We all have our own opinions, and if we can't find a newspaper or other media to hire us to publish them, we post them here. So when a group of opinionated critics say Zero Dark Thirty is the best picture, I assume that it might indeed also be the best film. And I might even see it.

I assume Sally Field was for "Lincoln." I thought she was excellent in that role - although she could have put on some more weight to be authentic-looking as Mary Todd Lincoln (a la de Niro in Raging Bull!!).

She was the worst thing in the whole movie. WAY too old and she did her usual Sally Field shtick which was old 20 years ago.

Sally Field may not be everyone's cup of tea, but this will be her second New York film critics award. She also has two Oscars for best actress, 3 Emmys, a Screen Actors Guild Award, and the award for Best Actress at Cannes, so somebody likes her work.

Awards shouldn't be about "liking" someone but rather about quality. Sally Field and Tom Hanks each won 2 Oscars ... Barbara Stanwyck and Cary Grant won none. Enough said.

Ms Field

Hey Opera

I agree 100% that awards do not make the actor or the actress, but by the same token you cant say they are pointless or why would you have posted the thread announcing the awards. Most actors and actresses who win awards is it for the performance or the script or character given. I think it is some of both and Ms Field has the role down perfectly although I think she adds just enough dementia to play the part. In all honesty look at some of Hollywood's great actors and actresses they do play the same roles time in and again. How many times did Bette Davis play the same role? You mention Cary Grant given his looks, rarely would the producer cast him anything but the sympathetic lead actor. Andn the few times he played something other than that the writing was awful and Cary looked miscast. And further would you hire Sally Field to play an evil character or any other roles than she has done in this performance. In theory Hollywood should want to cast against type for the challenge as audiences get bored quickly butthen again the almighty $$ wins out. Personally I thought Sally Field was great in Norma Rae and Tom Hanks did play against type in Philadelphia. Really the film critics dont like TV comedians coming to the screen, producers really did not want her for the role. I agree the roles are similar but she has them down perfectly and dont blame her or Tom Hanks if Hollywood and the public love them. They love Meryl and Jack too and god knows they have plenty of awards and nominations. Doris Day also was very popular with the public, critics hated her work, yet she filled the roles she played perfectly. Do I like Doris ehhh more whatever? I like Tom Hanks more than Sally Field but I did like the her and the movie Places of the Heart. Anyway movies like restaurants we have our likes and dislikes. That said surprised Lincoln did not win, my favorite filmm in years, but I am a civil war and Lincoln type of guy.

Hey Opera

I agree 100% that awards do not make the actor or the actress, but by the same token you cant say they are pointless or why would you have posted the thread announcing the awards. Most actors and actresses who win awards is it for the performance or the script or character given. I think it is some of both and Ms Field has the role down perfectly although I think she adds just enough dementia to play the part. In all honesty look at some of Hollywood's great actors and actresses they do play the same roles time in and again. How many times did Bette Davis play the same role? You mention Cary Grant given his looks, rarely would the producer cast him anything but the sympathetic lead actor. Andn the few times he played something other than that the writing was awful and Cary looked miscast. And further would you hire Sally Field to play an evil character or any other roles than she has done in this performance. In theory Hollywood should want to cast against type for the challenge as audiences get bored quickly butthen again the almighty $$ wins out. Personally I thought Sally Field was great in Norma Rae and Tom Hanks did play against type in Philadelphia. Really the film critics dont like TV comedians coming to the screen, producers really did not want her for the role. I agree the roles are similar but she has them down perfectly and dont blame her or Tom Hanks if Hollywood and the public love them. They love Meryl and Jack too and god knows they have plenty of awards and nominations. Doris Day also was very popular with the public, critics hated her work, yet she filled the roles she played perfectly. Do I like Doris ehhh more whatever? I like Tom Hanks more than Sally Field but I did like the her and the movie Places of the Heart. Anyway movies like restaurants we have our likes and dislikes. That said surprised Lincoln did not win, my favorite filmm in years, but I am a civil war and Lincoln type of guy.

I didn't say they were "pointless." I posted because I thought some people would be interested and because it's news

Interestingly, in reading accounts of the voting today, that Anne Hathaway was the initial front runner for Best Supporting Actress but Field eventually won on the 4th or 5th ballot.

And Lincoln finished in fourth for best picture behind Zero Dark Thirty, Argo, and The Master.

Archived