THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Life of Pi

foxy
This topic is 4322 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I liked the book when I read it but admit I forgot a lot of the details so I was anxious to see the movie. The director Ang Lee made what I consider two of the best movies with gay themes and characters, The Wedding Banquet and Brokeback Mountain. I knew he would do something interesting with this book. It's a visually stunning film and I regret I got talked out of seeing the 3D version so I'm going back to see it again. I recommend it highly. The actor Surma Sharma who plays Pi is terrific and charming.

I liked the book when I read it but admit I forgot a lot of the details so I was anxious to see the movie. The director Ang Lee made what I consider two of the best movies with gay themes and characters, The Wedding Banquet and Brokeback Mountain. I knew he would do something interesting with this book. It's a visually stunning film and I regret I got talked out of seeing the 3D version so I'm going back to see it again. I recommend it highly. The actor Surma Sharma who plays Pi is terrific and charming.

I"m curious but wary about seeing it. Everyone says you either hate it or love it and with so many other choices out there I've been holding off. Thanks for the review.

I saw this movie today in the 3D format. I am having difficulty trying to put into words my experience with the visuals of the film.

The overall effect of the 3D is dazzling especially some of the water sequences. I have not read the book so I came to this without any preconceived ideas. I believe I read somewhere that this is the first role for the young man playing Pi. If so, he is unusually strong for a first time actor.

I felt Ang Lee's direction and overall vision were on the money. The early scenes of life in India were very convincing and I felt I was glimpsing what life was like there.

While there were surely some CG effects, I would be hard pressed to pick them out other than to say that some of the animals had to be CG because of the events.

The end of the film (which is told in flash back) was very touching and the adult actor playing Pi and telling his story moved me very much.

I recommend this film, movie, motion picture, flick, whatever.

I saw this movie today in the 3D format. I am having difficulty trying to put into words my experience with the visuals of the film.

The overall effect of the 3D is dazzling especially some of the water sequences. I have not read the book so I came to this without any preconceived ideas. I believe I read somewhere that this is the first role for the young man playing Pi. If so, he is unusually strong for a first time actor.

I felt Ang Lee's direction and overall vision were on the money. The early scenes of life in India were very convincing and I felt I was glimpsing what life was like there.

While there were surely some CG effects, I would be hard pressed to pick them out other than to say that some of the animals had to be CG because of the events.

The end of the film (which is told in flash back) was very touching and the adult actor playing Pi and telling his story moved me very much.

I recommend this film, movie, motion picture, flick, whatever.[/color][/size][/font]

With Ang Lee, the visuals are always "cinematic" meaning spectacular. I've had trouble, occasionally, with his films being rather "cold" or "chilly." He doesn't make it easy. It took me two or three viewings before I could get into Brokeback Mountain.

I think he'd be a genius if he could find a way to "warm up" his films.

I"m curious but wary about seeing it. Everyone says you either hate it or love it and with so many other choices out there I've been holding off. Thanks for the review.

Operalover, I can understand why people would say that.... "The Life of Pi" is a "cute" and well told story but, honestly, I couldn't wait till it was over. Seemed to drag for me...

Operalover, I can understand why people would say that.... "The Life of Pi" is a "cute" and well told story but, honestly, I couldn't wait till it was over. Seemed to drag for me...

That's what I fear. I'm hoping that when I see it I'll have the reaction I had to HUGO last year. I didn't want to see that. Of course, the marketing was the problem. It was marketed as a kid's film and it turned out it was anything but that. I was blown away when I finally saw it.

That was the problem with HOPE SPRINGS which I finally saw on DVD the other night. It was marketed as a comedy like It's Complicated or Somethings Gotta Give and it turned out to be a humorless drama about an abusive marriage. I couldn't even watch it to the end.

Archived