THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Argo

operalover21
This topic is 4320 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Ben Affleck is turning into quite the fine director. I thought this film was excellent. My only little quibble was the opening 3 minute narrative set-up which I thought just a tad simplistic. But the movie itself is quite good. No big name stars, great small parts for character actors like Victor Garber, John Goodman (would someone give this guy an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor? He's having a great couple years -- this, The Artist, Flight), and Alan Arkin. The most wonderful thing about the film is the real sense of being in 1979/1980 and "being there" or "you are there" as the tv announcer used to say. Writing superb, acting superb, art direction and production superb. Highly recommended. I can't wait to see what Affleck does next.

I also enjoyed it tremendously. Affleck is turning into quite the artiste.

The only thing I could have really done without are the two framing devices: the narration at the beginning and the end. First, the beginning narration is way too simplistic and second, the voiceover by Jimmy Carter at the end is fairly ludicrous. He practically takes complete responsibiity for the mission (which he had nothing to do with) in a self-serving bit of narration that was almost vomit-inducing. Everything in between is wonderfully done.

Also, this was the first movie I attended in a long time -- in a regular theater with a regular audience -- in which some people applauded at the end. It was a good feeling!

One reason they might have applauded is that the ending is not true. It was made up by Hollywood, probably to get people clapping. The "Canadians" left Iran without all of the cloak and dagger and near misses the movie provides.

Archived