THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Annie

operalover21
This topic is 4306 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Some friends from out of town wanted to see it so I was dragged to it and I have to admit: it was terrific! James Lapine has turned it into a darker show and it works. The production is terrific and I thought every single performance was outstanding. I'd never thought I could possibly like this show. I was wrong.

I'm glad you posted a good review because I sort of wrote off Annie and realized I've never seen a live production and maybe it's time I did.

I would definitely recommend seeing it. I think Lapine brings out stuff I hadn't seen before and makes it more complex. Of course, there's still TOMORROW but there's always ear plugs for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw it last night, long after the date of my original ticket. The original performance was cancelled by Sandy. Anyway, I liked it. I saw the original with the great Dorothy Loudon in '77 and back then it was a new and fresh piece. Now after one billion served it seems a little robotic. I adore Katie Finneran and her interpretation of Mrs. Hannigan seems a bit haggard, but perhaps it has to do with direction. Anyway, a good musical with a rooster of tunes that everyone's heard over and over. A jolly little holiday closing act and a cute bunch of kids hamming it up every chance they get. BTW, an audience full of little kids. I found myself singing along with Katie when she sang Little Girls, 'cos the 8 year old next to me kept kicking me throughout the first act!!! I will admit that the throngs of little kids were pretty well behaved and didn't act up. But, should 4 year olds be in the theater??????

Saw it last night, long after the date of my original ticket. The original performance was cancelled by Sandy. Anyway, I liked it. I saw the original with the great Dorothy Loudon in '77 and back then it was a new and fresh piece. Now after one billion served it seems a little robotic. I adore Katie Finneran and her interpretation of Mrs. Hannigan seems a bit haggard, but perhaps it has to do with direction. Anyway, a good musical with a rooster of tunes that everyone's heard over and over. A jolly little holiday closing act and a cute bunch of kids hamming it up every chance they get. BTW, an audience full of little kids. I found myself singing along with Katie when she sang Little Girls, 'cos the 8 year old next to me kept kicking me throughout the first act!!! I will admit that the throngs of little kids were pretty well behaved and didn't act up. But, should 4 year olds be in the theater??????

Should 4 year olds be anywhere except at home?

The show must go on....

Went to see the matinee production of Annie. An enjoyable show for all ages. Fast moving, good acting and singing.... Sadly, during this production, Annie injured herself and the 2nd Act was completed by her understudy who is just as talented... Standing ovation for both when the injured Annie was carried out on stage for her curtain call.

Ruby Keeler danced like a truck driver which always cracked me up. How she became a big star is beside me but I love her anyway.

LOL. I did a study of her fims (she only made a handful) and I love 1930s movies but I laughed out loud. She's SO bad. Fat Legs, can't sing, and as you perfectly put it she danced like a butch truck driver. I was baffled.

At the same time Astaire and Rogers were making their classics -- it was, sorry, like night and day.

Ah... Fred and Ginger, nothing better. "Let's Face the Music and Dance" the most exquisite number ever captured on film.

Ain't that the truth. Still as fresh as when the stuff was made 75 years ago. It's unfortunate that Face the Music and Dance is, otherwise, in one of their weakest films. That one is a slog to get through. It has none of the sparkle of Swing Time or Top Hat or Shall We Dance.

Astaire, IMHO, was the greatest musical performer of the 20th century. Well, let's face it ... any century.

And Ginger did everything he did backwards in high heels. Said many times before so I can't take credit for that. The movies they made were totally silly but the dance numbers were truly amazing and deserve to be called art. Nice to be able to fast forward to get to the good stuff although I do rather enjoy the gay characters. The art deco sets are great and Ginger's dresses move gorgeously despite Fred's complaints about the feathers.

And Ginger did everything he did backwards in high heels. Said many times before so I can't take credit for that. The movies they made were totally silly but the dance numbers were truly amazing and deserve to be called art. Nice to be able to fast forward to get to the good stuff although I do rather enjoy the gay characters. The art deco sets are great and Ginger's dresses move gorgeously despite Fred's complaints about the feathers.

It's also a fairly facile comment. Ginger was talented but she wasn't in Fred's league by any stretch of the imagination. I also don't think that their movies were all that silly. Some -- the ones I mentioned -- are amazing classics that integrate dance and story in a brilliant way, IMHO.

Archived