THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Is there anything good on Broadway?

foxy
This topic is 4291 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Mystery Of Edwin Drood has very positive buzz. Disgraced at Lincoln Center got great reviews and has extended. The big hit of the Fringe Festival - 5 Lesbians Eating Quiche has extended down at the Soho Playhouse

and Old Jews Telling Jokes is a very funny 90 minutes. Only one on Broadway but there are very good things to see.

It is pretty sad...I tend to like something about most things, but this season so far has had very little that I would want to see again, or recommend to friends from out of town. Drood is the big exception...I think the revival is very strong, and the cast is great. (I am not one of those folks who will compare every performer to the person who originated the role twenty years ago.)

Have a drink and settle in, preparing to be taken back in time to the almost Vaudeville-ian setting of an English Music Hall.

If drama is your cup of tea, The Piano Lesson at Signature is another terrific revival. It opens tonight, and tix are only $25 until 12/9. I suspect they'll go fast after the reviews.

And I am not generally a huge fan of Christopher Durang, but Vanya and Masha and Sonia and Spike is great fun. It's sold out for it's announced run, but I suspect it will extend.

We forgot the revival of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf," which I think is pretty terriffic. "Peter and The Starcatcher" is still running on Broadway. "Glengarry Glen Ross" still has not opened, but has gotten mostly favorable comments on theater chat sites, as has the Lincoln Center revival, "Golden Boy," which just started previews.

Other promising upcoming shows: "Picnic" revival (December); Rodgers & Hammerstein's "Cinderella" (January) and "Lucky Guy" Tom Hanks (March).

We forgot the revival of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf," which I think is pretty terriffic. "Peter and The Starcatcher" is still running on Broadway. "Glengarry Glen Ross" still has not opened, but has gotten mostly favorable comments on theater chat sites, as has the Lincoln Center revival, "Golden Boy," which just started previews.

Other promising upcoming shows: "Picnic" revival (December); Rodgers & Hammerstein's "Cinderella" (January) and "Lucky Guy" Tom Hanks (March).

I got the impression -- and I could be mistaken -- since the original poster mentioned Annie that he was looking for musicals, rather than straight plays.

I sure hope The Piano Lesson is good. I'm seeing it this week.

I got the impression -- and I could be mistaken -- since the original poster mentioned Annie that he was looking for musicals, rather than straight plays.

You are right, it is dificult to tell. So I read the previous posts, which included Broadway and Off. Others included plays as well as musicals in their posts. But, I tend to think now (after reading your comment) that foxy did mean Broadway musicals.

• 1 month later...
The Piano Lesson sounds good and I will try for that. I need to make more use of TDF.

We have not heard back from Foxy on what he saw, but The Piano Lesson has extended, now into January. That's good for me because now I can see it too. But I sure am curious what Foxy decided to see.

The Piano Lesson was up on TDF briefly for $27 but is now not available so I will wait and see if it comes back up after the holiday crush has ended. A friend of mine who has pretty good taste in theater recently saw Golden Boy and didn't care for it and also didn't like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof but wants to see Edwin Drood tomorrow. I'm in a holding pattern for the moment. I am seeing Peter and the Starcatcher on 1/2. It was my favorite show last year and I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Archived