THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Heiress

edjames
This topic is 4339 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The revival of The Heiress, now starring Jessica Chastain (The Help), and Dan Stevens (Downton Abbey), stills makes for a good story.

I was mesmerized by the original movie with Olivia Dehavilland as the mousy shy young woman who cringes at her father's demeaning and bullying attitude. Her decision to wed or not to wed the handsome young penniless suitor, Montgomery Clift, is a dilemma that has it's pros and cons. As he pounds on the front door to take her away, she has the maid lock the door, puts out the lights and climbs the stairs. Wow!

I missed the last revival of this drama with Cherry Jones in the lead role, but I imagine she was terrific.

This time around, Jessica Chastain takes over the role and does a fine job as Catherine. Dan Stevens makes a fine Broadway debut as Morris, the suitor, but one wonders if they didn't tone down the evil side of Morris, as they did for the movie to cash in on Montgomery Cliff's romatic leading man creds. The audience loved it. David Strathain is good as the father. A grand and opulent 1850's drawing room set, fine costumes and lighting. Judith Ivey plays Aunt Lavinia and reminds me of Aunt Pitty Pat and Mrs, Bennett.

18 weeks only. Sold out last night.

• 2 weeks later...
The revival of The Heiress, now starring Jessica Chastain (The Help), and Dan Stevens (Downton Abbey), stills makes for a good story.

I was mesmerized by the original movie with Olivia Dehavilland as the mousy shy young woman who cringes at her father's demeaning and bullying attitude. Her decision to wed or not to wed the handsome young penniless suitor, Montgomery Clift, is a dilemma that has it's pros and cons. As he pounds on the front door to take her away, she has the maid lock the door, puts out the lights and climbs the stairs. Wow!

I missed the last revival of this drama with Cherry Jones in the lead role, but I imagine she was terrific.

This time around, Jessica Chastain takes over the role and does a fine job as Catherine. Dan Stevens makes a fine Broadway debut as Morris, the suitor, but one wonders if they didn't tone down the evil side of Morris, as they did for the movie to cash in on Montgomery Cliff's romatic leading man creds. The audience loved it. David Strathain is good as the father. A grand and opulent 1850's drawing room set, fine costumes and lighting. Judith Ivey plays Aunt Lavinia and reminds me of Aunt Pitty Pat and Mrs, Bennett.

18 weeks only. Sold out last night.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the evil side of Morris." I've read Washington Square about a dozen times over the years that the play is based on and I'm not sure what is "evil" about his character. He's shady and a fortune hunter. But evil? I don't see it.

My thoughts. You have a different slant on the character. I found the character walks a fine line between conniving and evil schemer or a sincere handsome young man. I think Catherine made the right decision. Morris would have gotten hold of her fortune and squanderedit away.

ED

My thoughts. You have a different slant on the character. I found the character walks a fine line between conniving and evil schemer or a sincere handsome young man. I think Catherine made the right decision. Morris would have gotten hold of her fortune and squanderedit away.

ED

She definitely makes the right decision but for all the wrong reasons. Because of what happens earlier, she has turned into a female version of her father. She has hardened and now she will be alone. It's a very sad play/novella.

I just reserve "evil" for serial killers, rapists, child molesters -- not fortune hunters.

I know there is an opera based on the novella, written a few years after "Death in Venice." Was the opera based on the James work ever recorded?

The Pasatieri opera -- Washington Square -- was never recorded to my knowledge. It was done at Michigan Opera Theater and then seemed to completely disappear. I've never encountered it. I think it would make an effect opera if Carlisle Floyd had written it. Or perhaps John Adams could take a go?

Archived