THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Scandalous

skynyc
This topic is 4316 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well, I do have to recommend folks see this, because Carolee Carmello gives such a sensational performance.

The show is a bit bi-polar. The first act is preachy and comes across like a Lifetime Movie...too event to event to event autobiographical. Sat at intermission with a friend who said...this feels like a Church musical.

The second act is more "Broadway" and the story itself becomes more interesting, but there are some shockingly bad "bible stories acted out - Adam and Eve, Moses, Samson, et al. (Although the shirtless Edward Watts is VERY watchable...and he has a gorgeous voice.)

But the interactions of Chaplin, Hearst, Parsons, etc, make it an interesting Hollywood story.

Some of the songs are okay, I like David Friedman's melodies, and some of KLG's lyrics are better than expected.

The set is appropriately epic.

And to my surprise, the message of the show about "God loving everyone, no matter the sin" is worthy. I have found of late that the word Christianity often makes me cringe because of the hypocritical evangelists and born-agains who are hardly (to my mind) Christian. And they are represented here as well.

But again, Carolee Carmello is amazing. The show starts in 1926, the height of MacPherson's trial, and then flashes back to Aimee as a teen in the early 1900s. Carmello's voice, demeanor and attitude instantly changed, and you truly believe she's a rebellious girl. Then you watch her grow into the first media icon in history...the Lady Gaga of her era. LOL

Got a cheap ticket on tdf. Sat on the aisle in the 14th row. And for that seat and price, I cannot complain a bit.

I will be curious to hear Lucky's review...he saw it this afternoon.

Skynyc, I agree with you! The first act very much feels like a church musical. And Carolee Carmello has a great voice. However, that's as far as I can agree.

I didn't care to attend a church musical. And as good as her voice is, Carmello sings in a very formal tone which becomes overbearing given that virtually every song is hers. It seemed as if everything she sang had to be loud and brassy. As it was, I left before the first act finished, having seen nothing appealing or sexy, or entertaining, for that matter.

Should the show seek an audience akin to my likes, it should lower the churchy tone in the first act and provide something for the non- evangelical to grab onto.

The musical played to 65% of capacity last week, but the average ticket price was very low, only $38.76. Too bad because the subject matter and the star may have worked in more capable hands. I actually feel sorry for Kathie Lee (something I never thought I would write or say).

• 4 weeks later...

I predict this one won't be around very long. Carolee Carmelo has had recent throat problems which kept her out of the last few previews. The reviews are not good...

http://theater.nytimes.com/2012/11/16/theater/reviews/scandalous-the-life-and-trials-of-aimee-semple-mcpherson.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/monotonous_the_life_and_trials_lbFOiHpvIT7rXdP9e3zOxJ

• 2 weeks later...

Archived