THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

An Enemy of the People

edjames
This topic is 4364 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A truly enjoyable piece of theater. Good acting by Richard Thomas and Boyd Gaines and a great story, which is still surprisingly relevant.

The play, written by Isben in 1882 addresses the irrational tendencies of the masses, and the hypocritical and corrupt nature of the political system that they support. It is the story of one brave man's struggle to do the right thing and speak the truth in the face of extreme social intolerance., focusing on the environment poisoning of the town's water system, used for spa baths and cures.

Really, really good...

ED

Thanks Ed for a well written and positive review on "An Enemy of the People"... I've been waiting to hear about new shows opening on Broadway and this one sounds like something I'd enjoy seeing. Great cast and interesting plot... Just a funny side note, I was having dinner last night with Ed and I asked him about this play not knowing he had just seen it. So, he pauses and pulls out the Playbill. Now that's service!

Just a funny side note, I was having dinner last night with Ed and I asked him about this play not knowing he had just seen it. So, he pauses and pulls out the Playbill. Now that's service!

Cooper failed to mention what I pulled out as an "encore!" HLOL

ED

A dissenting voice- am afraid I left at intermission> Thought it was badly acted and directed-full of lightweight television actors who simply shouted at each other and did not have the necessary gravitas or range of colors in their declamation. Was like a soap opera. Also, they all rushed their lines and hardly waited to hear what each other was saying. I thought it was a mediocre production of a great play am afraid.....

Lightweight?

A dissenting voice- am afraid I left at intermission> Thought it was badly acted and directed-full of lightweight television actors who simply shouted at each other and did not have the necessary gravitas or range of colors in their declamation. Was like a soap opera. Also, they all rushed their lines and hardly waited to hear what each other was saying. I thought it was a mediocre production of a great play am afraid.....

I disagree with the adjective "lightweight." and 'television actor." Since when is the TV medium so demeaning? The majority of actors working theater today have credits across the entertainment industries, including TV, Stage and Movies. Read your Playbill!

Both lead actors in enemy of the people are highly accomplished and have won major industry awards.

Boyd Gaines has 4 Tony awards as Gaines was nominated for a Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play in 2007, for Journey's End, making him the first actor to be nominated in each of the four Tony categories for which an actor is eligible.

He has won the Tony Award for the following performances:

1989 Tony Award for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play - The Heidi Chronicles

1994 Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical - She Loves Me

2000 Tony Award for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical - Contact

2008 Tony Award for BTony Award for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical - Gypsy: A Musical Fable

2011 Drama Desk Award Outstanding Featured Actor In A Play, The Grand Manner

2008 Drama Desk Award Outstanding Featured Actor in A Musical, Gypsy

2007 Drama Desk Award Outstanding Featured Actor In A Play, Journey's End

2000 Drama Desk Award Outstanding Featured Actor In A Play, Contact.

1994 Drama Desk Awad, outstaning Actror In A Musical, She Loves Me.

Richard Thomas has an Emmy and a Golden Globe award.

I don't need to "read my playbill" thank you, as I have worked in the arts for 30 years and I never said TV was demeaning in any way. Maybe you should have read my post before advising me. I am a huge fan of TV. I do however think it is quite a different acting style from Ibsen and that not all actors are equally gifted in both mediums. You are perfectly entitled to disagree, I thought I started my post by saying that we did-there is room for more than one opinion. I also prefer to have my own opinions rather than be told by the Tonys what to think.

Did you actually read my post? I mentioned the direction-I also mentioned I really like the play-nor did I mention anything about the sets?? I also am delighted that ed enjoyed himself and by no means do I wish to try and spoil his enjoyment-iam merely giving my impression of the performance which I enjoyed less for the reasons I stated> Winning awards for performances in Gypsy and She loves me doesnt seem to me to be a guarantee that one will therefore be a surefire hit in Ibsen. One might as well say that Ethel Merman would have been a great Hedda Gabler. Good luck to any director with that one.

Yes, we all read your post with great interest and enjoyed your stinging criticism of this production. Sorry that you did not like it and left at intermission. does that mean we can only evaluate the first act? LOL I always enjoy a rousing debate on the merits, or lack thereof, of what appears on the stage these days. When you use terminology light "lightweight television" actors we are interpreting a disapproving tone and an insulting jab at the stars. It's just a matter of how this audience interrprets you post. For the future, mine should always be read with a bemused smile and a shit ass grin! That said, we await others to chime in. Personally, I'm moving on to the next show (tonight) so look for another thead to pop up in the next few days about another production.

BTW...

How do you know if the guy sitting next to you in the theater is gay?

He's the one taking his Playbill home...

HLOL

ED

A friend and I saw Enemy of the People this afternoon, and I just realized that I left the Playbill at the theater. But, I am still gay.

My thought is that the acting is just fine. It's the play itself that left me a bit cold. Rather histrionic in nature, I doubt that things were likely to have happened just as they did. But, the author gets to create the community in which the play takes place, and so he did.

Full price tickets for this fairly short play are $120!!! I am glad for TKTS, which gave us very good seats for half of that.

Archived