THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Grace

edjames
This topic is 4328 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Paul Rudd, Boardwalk Empire's Michael Shannon, and television legend Ed Asner all star in Craig Wright's Grace, where a dewy-eyed young couple start a sunny, new life in Florida to find their destinies colliding with a caustic exterminator and an agitated neighbor as the couple tries to make their dream of a chain of gospel motels come true! 4 characters, 100 minutes, no intermission.

I liked the play. I liked the acting, although I know Michael Shannon can do better, but I truly hated the direction! I won't proivide any more info but it opens Oct 4 and we'll see what the critics have to say.

ED

Paul Rudd, Boardwalk Empire's Michael Shannon, and television legend Ed Asner all star in Craig Wright's Grace, where a dewy-eyed young couple start a sunny, new life in Florida to find their destinies colliding with a caustic exterminator and an agitated neighbor as the couple tries to make their dream of a chain of gospel motels come true! 4 characters, 100 minutes, no intermission.

I liked the play. I liked the acting, although I know Michael Shannon can do better, but I truly hated the direction! I won't proivide any more info but it opens Oct 4 and we'll see what the critics have to say.

ED

If you hated the direction, it must be awful good acting and an awfully good play to overcome that obstacle which is, afterall, the number one thing that forms the basis for all the rest of what comes. Head scratcher. I see it next week. On paper, it sounds juvenile.

If you hated the direction, it must be awful good acting and an awfully good play to overcome that obstacle which is, afterall, the number one thing that forms the basis for all the rest of what comes. Head scratcher. I see it next week. On paper, it sounds juvenile.

First, stop scratching your head. People will think you have fleas! LOL

My post was just my opinion, that's all. I suggest we wait for the reviews to come in before we start a spirited discussion on the pros and cons of this production, although, I've weighed in on my two cents, so it'll be up to you and I pass along the baton of criticism. I'm finished with this p[roduction and I'm moving along. Jake Gyllenhaal is up tonight with his role in If There Is...

Yes, direction is very importrant. A director helps move the story and the actors along, but in this case the openning 10 minutes were very confusing, and in my opinion, unnecessary. AND, I hated the abrupt ending. In this production, I found the story intriguing and interesting but only because it hit close to home. I have two wackos in my family who are "born-again" and traipse all over the world preaching, and they always seem to do it while some poor unsuspecting fool or church group is footing the bill for their transpostation, lodging and meals. Fortunately I do not have much to do with them.

That said, we sit and await the reviews to come in. I'm positive you will not like it, and you will enlighten us with your commentary.

Lucky...you are right to pick and chose your theater options for your trip. No sense in wasting your time and monies on productions that don't perk your interest or tastes. I'm in the midst of my own options for an upcoming trip to London's West End. So far, the West End theater season does not seem to be awash with terrific choices.

ED

Ed, I am so jealous. I would love a theater week in London! Be sure to report back. (Please?)

My Paris/London trip is scheduled for Thanksgiving week/

I love when a mature man begs, so of course, once I return I'll post my observations. I'm only in London for 4 days, so perhaps only 5 shows.

I'm already disappointed. One of Britans most beloved playwrights, Alan Bennett (History Boys) has written a new play which will be done at the National Theater. It's already sold-out during the 4 days I will be n London. I hope it comes to NT Live at a future date. I may look into using a ticket broker to get a seat. I have a freind who swears if I go over to the National and stand in line I'll get a seat, but I can't risk it, so I'll try elsewhere.

ED

Ed, Jerry Springer: The Opera was also sold out at the National when I was in London. Yet I did just that- went to the theater, and sure enough, they found me a good seat. ( I didn't stand in line, I went off-hour and asked at the box office.) The kind young man also told me that he could sell me the seat at the senior rate if that was something I was interested in. That rate was 20 pounds, a nice discount. So, yes, I was interested, got a great seat, and absolutely loved the show.

Saw this last night and would be curious to see the script, because I agree that the opening ten minutes was confusing, until the end, but the flaws for me were with the play itself. I thought the performers were excellent, but walked out not knowing what the playwright was trying to say.

Some Born-Again Christians are crazy and some aren't?

You cannot have a do-over?

The Phantom of the Opera needed a contemporary update?

And my laugh about the direction...because of this thread I looked at the director's name when I sat down with the Playbill. Shock. I used to babysit him.

Will be interested to see what the critics say.

RSH

• 1 month later...

Archived