THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Kinky Boots in Chicago Before Broadway

Lucky
This topic is 4352 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Okay, I had never heard of it either. Kinky Boots is a 2005 film about a drag queen who comes to the rescue of a man who, after inheriting his father's shoe factory, needs to diversify his product if he wants to keep the business...

But no, it is now a musical, opening in March on Broadway. Cindi Lauper did the music and lyrics, Harvey Fierstein wrote the book and Jerry Mitchell directs. And Chicago gets it first, opening October 2d and playing through November 4th at the Bank of America Theater. The blurb for the musical goes:

"Charlie Price has suddenly inherited his father's shoe factory, which has been in his family for generations but is now on the verge of bankruptcy. In trying to save the business, Charlie finds inspiration in the form of Lola, a fabulous entertainer in need of some sturdy stilettos. As they try to turn the factory around, this unlikely pair discovers that they have more in common than they ever dreamed possible.

Featuring a sensational new score by Cyndi Lauper, knockout dancing, and a spectacularly uplifting story, KINKY BOOTS proves that sometimes, the best way to fit in is to stand out!
"

There is a cast of 32, but the one who gets my interest is Stark Sands, who I saw in La Jolla, playing Clyde in Bonnie & Clyde. By the time the short-lived show came to New York, Stark had committed to playing in American Idiot, so Jeremy Jordan got the ill-fated role.

But, Stark is a doll, and thankfully can also sing and dance. Most of the cast have Broadway credits, so I think it could be a good show. Here's Stark with his co-star, Billy Porter:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just briefly, I saw Kinky Boots tonight in Chicago, and damn it is fun! I want to marry Stark Sands or at least hold him all night while he sings to me. What a voice. When he sang his big number "The Soul of A Man" he brought the house down. it comes to New York in March and I will get my tickets early.

Saw "Kinky Boots" this past Friday in Chicago. Agree with Lucky - it was fun, Stark Sands was great; also Billy Porter as Lola was sensational! Didn't have high expectations going in, but the show was a really pleasant surprise. It didn't look like an "iron-out the kinks" try-out before Broadway, but rather something ready to go right now. There were a couple of numbers that brought the house down and the audience loved the show.

leeper, glad to know that someone here also saw the show and liked it. Not sure how ready America is for a show about drag queens close-up, but they handled La Cage, and this show sure is entertaining. The theater was packed last night. Lucky for me, I sat in the third row, right next to a guy who caused me to do a double take. He looked like he could be Daddy's older brother!

I was so focused on Stark Sands, but yes, I did note that some had some tight abs. Not the usual drag queen look.

BTW, I agree with you that it does look Broadway ready. Perhaps the first act could be shortened a bit, but it was all good.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I do tend to like most things...and this is no exception. What a fun show...a cross between La Cage Au Folles and Billy Elliot...and the potential is there to make it really good. The songs definitely sound like Cyndi Lauper, (who wrote the score) and while I did feel a couple of them needed to have a verse or two trimmed, they were a good mix of pop and theater.

Stark Sands is a delight to both listen to and look at. I will leave him for Lucky. Billy Porter will be a front runner for the Tony come spring. He is wonderful and just tore up a great Whitney Houston/Effie White in Dreamgirls number.

Costumes are well done, although I hope they make the sets a little more substantial for Broadway...they definitely looked like they came off a tour.

Direction is classic Jerry Mitchell and the conveyer belt number had a real "Broadway Bares" feel to it. I was glad that the "factory" ensemble had different moves/looks to the drag queens.

I hope this will be a big hit.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #9CA5C6]Monday [/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #D7CB91] October [/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: 9CA5C6] 29 [/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: ffed00] http://playbill.vo.llnwd.net/o15/images/buttons/pb_btn_exclusive_offer.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

The new musical Kinky Boots, from Cyndi Lauper and Harvey Fierstein, has teamed up with Playbill to offer an exclusive pre-sale ticket offer (before tickets go on sale to the general public) for the show's Broadway debut this spring. I got to check the show out in Chicago last week, and I can attest, it is hilarious, heartfelt and filled with amazing performances from its lead players Stark Sands, Billy Porter and Annaleigh Ashford. It's a must see in my book! (Click here for more information on the Playbill exclusive pre-sale ticket offer.)

You are welcome, and I am happy for you. My luck wasn't so good on this:

Seats:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 10][/TD]

[TD] 2 Tickets, Right Orchestra Row G, Seats 10-12

7 rows from Stage. Seat 10 is 5 seats off aisle.

Seating Chart[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Total Price:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 217]Tickets ($137.00 each):[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$274.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 217]Service Charge ($8.00 per ticket):[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$16.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 217]Handling Charge ($2.75 per order):[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$2.75[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]sumLine.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 217]Total Cost:[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$292.75[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

That's about $146 a seat to sit at the far side of the theater! Aren't those the seats they sell at TKTS or other discount sites? And here I am the show's big booster! I didn't buy those tickets.

Archived