THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Not Just Daddy's: Firefox and Adobe Flash

gallahadesquire
This topic is 4461 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I don't understand this standoff:

Adobe 11.3 crashes in Firefox.

Firefox knows this.

Since Firefox is still, I believe, more popular than Internet Explorer, why isn't at least one of them giving way a little bit?

Firefox's solution is almost impossible to implement. Adobe doesn't seem to care,either way.

Opinions?

Adobe is a company, not a product. I'll assume you mean Adobe Flash Player since the current version of that is 11.3.300.265.

Works fine here in Firefox 13.0.1. Which version are you using?

What is the impossible solution Firefox suggested?

Can you define "nothing works"?

Do you see an empty box where video should be? Does smoke shoot out of your speakers? Something in between? :cool:

I did recently have a problem where SOME (but not all) sites would not play Flash videos in Firefox. I'd get a empty black box. But after painful observation and debugging I learned it was self-inflicted. I'd installed a HOSTS file to block web advertising (and promptly forgot I'd done it), and it was blocking the advertising that sites like NBC ("SMASH!") play before allowing their videos to play. Once I'd removed the HOSTS file (and let the damn ads play), all was well.

Could you be suffering from a HOSTS file deposited by some malware?

Note: I'm not asking for specifics to pry or be rude. We all learn from these discussions but they have to be clear.

If you take your car to the mechanic and all you say is "it doesn't work", he'll probably start the car and say "seems fine". He has no way of knowing you're talking about the passenger side window not rolling down. :p

I'm an anesthesiologist. I know what you mean. A patient came in once and said:

"My mother told me that, if I were ever to have surgery [read: anesthesia], I should say this word: Pseudocholinesterase. I hope it means something to you."

"Ah, YES, and thank you!"

The videos run for a short time, and then I get a grey area that says "Adobe Flash Player has crashed." It's getting to be quite the bore.

Kind of like the guy who went to see his lawyer. He said "I didn't do anything, but the cops told me to give you some two word code."

Lawyer: "Okay, what is it?"

Client: "Bench warrant."

BTW: Flash Player is always crashing on Firefox.

Kind of like the guy who went to see his lawyer. He said "I didn't do anything, but the cops told me to give you some two word code."

Lawyer: "Okay, what is it?"

Client: "Bench warrant."

BTW: Flash Player is always crashing on Firefox.

Nice one. Thank you! I'm writing my memoirs as an academic anesthesiologist ... It won't sell, but it will be great fun to write.

My favourite: I was in our "Pretesting Clinic" for surgery. I was right behind a lady and her 3-or-4 year old. There was a guy in a Yankees t-shirt and a yankees cap (this is about 40 miles west of Boston).

The kid stopped dead in his tracks.

"It's all right, dear," mom said, "He won't hurt you. he's just a Yankees fan."

I slipped into my office and laughed my ass off.

The videos run for a short time, and then I get a grey area that says "Adobe Flash Player has crashed." It's getting to be quite the bore.

All videos? All sites? Every video on YouTube crashes? Or is it intermittent?

Firefox decided to upgrade itself to 14.0.1 and it's still crashing Adobe Flash Player.

Define:Crashing. Web pages that use Flash for ads will stop playing the ads. [This, to me, is a feature, not a bug.]

Sometimes videos will stop, especially if the page they are running on is not the top page in the machine.

don't mind me, I'm just getting it out of my system.

For a couple of years, I've been using ClickToFlash for Mac Safari. All Flash windows are grayed out by default and, if I want to see one, which is fairly rare, I just click on it. Pages load faster since all the Flash ads are disabled by default. Very useful!

While I don't have any personal experience with it, there appears to be a similar product for Firefox called Flashblock. You might want to research it to see if it would help. Flash may still crash your system, but it would be only in those instances when you deliberately clicked on it.

Good luck!

Archived