THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Paris Opera Ballet in NYC

Lucky
This topic is 4459 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I think I like it!

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/07/13/arts/13MASTERS_SPAN/13MASTERS_SPAN-articleLarge.jpg

Details:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/13/arts/dance/the-paris-opera-ballet-at-the-david-h-koch-theater.html?_r=1&ref=arts

Ballet

My mind tends to wander during the ballets I have seen. However a great dancer with a vivid personality, like Rudolph Nureyev or Mikhail Baryshnikov, could transform Sleeping Beauty or Swan Lake into something that is truly wonderful and breath taking (like Maria Callas in opera and Ethel Merman on Broadway). Note: I never saw Callas in person. My opinion is based only on her records and CDs. But, I did see the other three performers in person.

Are there any dancers, male or female, even close to Nureyev or Baryshnikov performing today? Lucky's' and whipped guy's photos have gotten me interested again.

(Although I am not sure that was whipped's intention!)

Being an opera buff for 40 years now (yes, I was still a boy!), I have always sort of avoided ballet, with some sporadic attempts that never really got me more than a slight appreciation.

These past 2 months for the first time I was convinced to attend the full cycle of the ABT (American Ballet Theatre) at the Met.

I have to say that even if I won't consider myself a balletomane, I really was totally taken buy some of the ballets I have watched.

Even if I would definitely skip some of the dances, in general I was really thrilled to see Swan Lake, Giselle, Le Corsaire, (Midsummer Night's) "Dream" and Eugene Onegin! Some dancers are absolutely spectacular, and to respond to WilliamM, I think that definitely there are dancers who are virtually equal to Baryshnikov and (in my opinion), greater than Nureyev!

Check out some youtube of Marcelo Gomes, Hernan Cornejo, Ivan Vasiliev and Angel Corella, they all took part to ABT's just finished season and were absolutely spectacular. Also Gillian Murphy and Natalia Osipova were REALLY Etoiles!

I just went the other day to NYCT to see the Paris Ballet performing a "trio" of ballets. Very good, especially the evergreen production of Ravel's Bolero with the (almost 40 years old!) choreography of Maurice Bejart, which is shown in the picture above. This last piece was absolutely spectacular, breathtaking, and the final explosion of the audience was the least to expect!

Archived