THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Medieval Play

skynyc
This topic is 4478 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Kenneth Lonergan's new work is playing at the Signature and even though three separate friends told me that they had left at intermission I was still anxious to see it. Always a bit nervous when a playwright directs himself, (because everyone needs an editor, LOL), I was still eager because I loved Lobby Hero and The Waverly Gallery a lot. And the cast which included Josh Hamilton, Tate Donovan, Heather Burns and John Pankow? What could be wrong with my friends.

Settled in and found the first ten minutes quite riotous as the two knights discuss matters of war from a very matter-of-fact perspective. And then I started to realize, when is something going to happen? When are we going to see what the author is trying to say. Set during the Hundred Years War...the rest of the first act seemed to last a hundred years.

I left at intermission.

Sad.

Sorry that you did not enjoy the play, but kudos for trying in light of your friends' reaction. And also glad to see you back with your reviews. Your theater knowledge and insight is a great contribution here.

Sorry that you did not enjoy the play, but kudos for trying in light of your friends' reaction. And also glad to see you back with your reviews. Your theater knowledge and insight is a great contribution here.

I agree with Lucky's sentiments. I wonder if you read the article on the playwright in Sunday's New York Times magazine. The piece is long but very interesting.

Archived