THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

LA Times on the Tonys

Lucky
This topic is 4497 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

"Book of Mormons" scene to open the Tonys on Sunday? That's the rumor, although not mentioned in the link below about Mormons.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=2075678

That's one Mormon, lol, as in The Book Of Mormon. And yes, they will be opening the broadcast. I just hope they don't do "I Believe" which is what they did last year, and is, IMO, not at all the strongest song in the show (though the lyrics are fun).

The fact that so many shows other than the nominated ones are performing this year, yet Spider-Man is not, is intriguing. (They did a number last year, but they weren't *technically* open at that time. Even the badly panned, already closed Leap of Faith will get a number, thanks to the producers of the show, who raised the necessary funds.

It will be an interesting night for sure. I'll be missing part of the broadcast due to a rehearsal (ugh), but I'll hopefully get to see the last hour or so, and of course I'll record it.

That's one Mormon, lol, as in The Book Of Mormon. And yes, they will be opening the broadcast. I just hope they don't do "I Believe" which is what they did last year, and is, IMO, not at all the strongest song in the show (though the lyrics are fun).

That's the song they included last year because Andrew Rannells was a nominee. He's leaving the show this week I think. Josh Gad's last performance with the show was today. It'll be "hello" from a new cast, and "Hello" wouldn't be a bad opening number for the Tonys. It's one of the few numbers from that show they wouldn't have to bleep. ;)

"Hello" wouldn't be a bad opening number for the Tonys. It's one of the few numbers from that show they wouldn't have to bleep. ;)

True.

Though, they got away with "It Sucks To Be Me" as the selection from Avenue Q a few years ago, just bleeping out the moment when Kate Monster yells out an f-bomb, which actually made it funnier, IMO.

What I thought odd was the year that Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Spelling Bee were nominated - they wouldn't let the word "ass" to be heard in the Dirty Rotten excerpt ("with culture and sophistication pouring out my ass"), but they DID allow Spelling Bee to use their wonderfully ridiculous definition for the word "dengue," which was "When the pediatrician asked Billy to describe the symptoms of his dengue, he said 'it's like there was a race out of my tushy and everybody won.'"

Now, in the scheme of things, what's really more palatable - a metaphorical expression about being overflowing with culture and sophistication, or a rather graphic (if funny) description of diarrhea? I have to laugh at the censors' decision here. ;-)

Archived