THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Book Recommendation

Lucky
This topic is 4499 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The book is "From The Memoirs Of A Non-Enemy Combatant" by Alex Gilvarry and is my favorite book so far this year. It's the tale of a young fashion designer who comes to New York from Manila and works hard to get himself recognized in the fashion world. This part of the story is funny and intriguing. Boyet "Boy" Hernandez needs funding if he is going to make it big, so he is grateful when his neighbor agrees to fund him. His neighbor, Ahmed, is not the most credible guy in the world, but when the money comes in, his odd absences and numerous lies don't seem so important. Until one night the government comes pounding on Boy's door, informing him that he has been named as a conspirator to sell fertilizer to the Somalis so they could blow up various New York landmarks, including the Bryant Park Fashion Tent. Boy finds himself whisked off to Guantanamo, and, as might be expected, the book takes on a new turn as the government tries to get him to confess to being a terrorist. Both endearing and enraging, this aspect of the novel is as well-told as is the fashion part. I can't wait for the sequel!

Are we no longer reading books?One would think that summer reading would still be quite the pasttime. And it was only a while back that book topics got many views.

For example,

Lucky's book recommendations received 177 views.

WilliamM's favorite books: 159 views.

The book The Art of Fielding 423 views.

A thriller for gay men: 141 views.

Vulture Peak: 63 views.

LBJ- 54 views.

But now, very few views for From the Memoirs of A Non-Enemy Combatant, and not many more for the very gay book, In One Person.

I love to read and always thought that when I came here, I was surrounded by readers. What happened?

Archived