THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Tribes, directed by David Cromer

Lucky
This topic is 4555 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This evening I saw Tribes, directed by David Cromer, who is a bit of the "in" director these days. The play was about an obnoxious family who argues at the dinner table while their deaf son sits silently. The first act consisted of showing how obnoxious this was, especially with the father. No one is listening to the other as they all talk over each other, again excepting the deaf son, Billy. A girl interest is introduced for him, and by the second act we are at deaf liberation as he refuses to speak to his family unless they learn to sign. He complains about being left out of the conversation and demands that the conversation be signed so as to include him. The family, used to his docility over the years, never learned to sign.

It's all better told than that, but when his brother loses his own ability to speak in sadness at losing his brother's company, it becomes too much. Essentially, none of us are listening to each other because we are too busy thinking of what we have to say instead. So far, of the shows I saw last week, my least favorite, but not a bad one. The performance of Susan Pourfar, playing Sylvia, is the standout of the show. She is the girl interest for the deaf son, and is herself losing her hearing as she romances Billy and helps him stand up to his family.

It's probably as good a place as any. Next month I am repeating my theater schedule with six shows. I get in later on Tuesday night, so a show is unlikely.

As it is, I am seeing Something For the Boys, Death of A Salesman, Evita, 4000 Miles, The Early History of Fire, and the Columnist.

Thanks for asking!

Archived