THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Why Not Male Spa

Lucky
This topic is 4412 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As I was walking to my theater in the Village last night, I saw a cute Asian man in a tank top walk out of a storefront which I later learned was the Why Not Male Spa on West 4th Street in New York's Greenwich Village.

Passing by later, I saw that they offered a full range of services, including facials, massage, and manicures with pedicures. Not sure what to think of the place, I looked at their reviews on Yelp and decided to check further by scheduling a manicure and pedicure. The reviews on Yelp had been mixed, but a couple lauded this service, and it gave me a chance to get in the door and see the workers, all Asian men.

Yelp reviewers mentioned that many of the guys did not speak English, or did not speak it well. So, I was not surprised when, during my pedicure, my technician said not a word to me. He did a good job though. Once we moved to the and manicure table, he finally spoke, trying to sell me on more services. His English was quite good, so I wondered why he had not made at effort to establish some kind of rapport. He performed the manicure, again without speaking. When he finished, he asked again about other services. A massage was about $60 or $70- it wasn't too clear.

But, the guy had no charm at all, so I decided I didn't want to be in the very small massage room with him. It seemed clear that there was no happy eding on the menu, although I can't say what might have been negotiated in the room. But, remember that this guy was not chatty, so I doubt anything would have come up.

At the register, there was a sign asking that all tips be in cash. I charged the $39, but had no change, so I gave the clerk a $20 bill to change. He gave me two tens! That would have been a good tip on $39, but given the lack of warmth, I didn't feel that Ming (I finally asked his name- he didn't ask mine!) deserved that much, so I asked for smaller bills. Nice try, though. I would not return to the Why Not spa.

Writing posts on my IPad can be a chore, especially as the IPad often wants to insert words I did not choose. Editing is quite difficult, as the software here does not give me the blue lines which tell me where I have selected to edit. By the time I was finished writing and editing the above, I had been signed out! All typos can be blamed on Apple!

As I was walking to my theater in the Village last night, I saw a cute Asian man in a tank top walk out of a storefront which I later learned was the Why Not Male Spa on West 4th Street in New York's Greenwich Village.

Passing by later, I saw that they offered a full range of services, including facials, massage, and manicures with pedicures. Not sure what to think of the place, I looked at their reviews on Yelp and decided to check further by scheduling a manicure and pedicure. The reviews on Yelp had been mixed, but a couple lauded this service, and it gave me a chance to get in the door and see the workers, all Asian men.

Yelp reviewers mentioned that many of the guys did not speak English, or did not speak it well. So, I was not surprised when, during my pedicure, my technician said not a word to me. He did a good job though. Once we moved to the and manicure table, he finally spoke, trying to sell me on more services. His English was quite good, so I wondered why he had not made at effort to establish some kind of rapport. He performed the manicure, again without speaking. When he finished, he asked again about other services. A massage was about $60 or $70- it wasn't too clear.

But, the guy had no charm at all, so I decided I didn't want to be in the very small massage room with him. It seemed clear that there was no happy eding on the menu, although I can't say what might have been negotiated in the room. But, remember that this guy was not chatty, so I doubt anything would have come up.

At the register, there was a sign asking that all tips be in cash. I charged the $39, but had no change, so I gave the clerk a $20 bill to change. He gave me two tens! That would have been a good tip on $39, but given the lack of warmth, I didn't feel that Ming (I finally asked his name- he didn't ask mine!) deserved that much, so I asked for smaller bills. Nice try, though. I would not return to the Why Not spa.

I stopped into H&M and bought 3 Deep-V t-shirts and an Emerald green cardigan.... and had enuf mnoey left for a nice lunch at Papaya King....

• 5 months later...

Archived