THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Theater Week For Lucky

Lucky
This topic is 4556 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My spring theater week got off to a good start when I reached LAX and found that I had been given an Economy Plus seat next to an empty seat. Tuesday's are the only night I don't pre-book as I cannot count on the flight getting in on time with shows mostly beginning at 7 p.m.

But I made it to my hotel by 5 p.m., and rather than go to the TKTS booth, I used my IPad to book a show while riding the PATH train in. Those touch pads are not really meant for bumpy train rides, but my efforts were rewarded with a house seat for The End of the Rainbow.

This is a show I had decided not to see. I know so little about Judy Garland that the authorities at Gay, Inc. just gasp. and I did not want to see a show about some drunk crawling across the stage. But, Ben Brantley changed my mind. The End of the Rainbow opened last night and the reviews of Tracie Bennet's performance were amazing. So, I felt that I had to see this show.

Forget Judy Garland,the show may be inspired by her, but there is no doubt that it is Tracie's show. I am not exaggerating here, but I think her performance was the single best performance I have ever seen.

all gay men who love Judy Garland, along awith those of you who just love good theater, must see her perform. It's that good.

At the end, when she bellows out Over the rainbow, I doubt that there was a dry eye in the house.

So, my theater week is off to an excellent start . I would hate to think that I saw my best show first, but it seems that it is going to be hard to beat

All typos can be blamed on my IPad!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bennett & Garland

Thanks so very much for the review of End of the Rainbow, Lucky. I was unsure whether or not to see the play. I saw Judy Garland perform at a sold-out Boston Garden as a freshman in college in 1961. Garland was at the peak of her career, and sang her heart out for well over two hours without a single mistake.

All of the reviews confim your comments about how wonderful Tracie Bennett is as Garland.

No matter how badly Garland had falled apart by late 1968/early 1969, I doubt it will erase her performance in 1961 from my memory. I just wonder if I can separate Bennett from Garland enough to love the play as much as you did. But, your review was a big step in my being willing to take that chance.

A friend of mine very involved in the theater in NYC said that we have reached the point where Judy Garland can only be portrayed by a drag queen and that no woman can give an accurate portrayal of her. Period.

I have no actual comment on that statement. Just wanted to throw that out there.

I am much more interested in what you have to say, not your friends . There is a line in the play as to what responsibility the gay community bears in her downfall, which we allegedly enabled. One character comments to the fact that thousands of gay men would cum in their pants if she hit tragic end.

Audio Informal Conversation

Judy Garland --- informal 1969 recorded conversation.

I believe the play is more accurate than this conversation. But it does show that even near the end of her life Garland was an accomplished actress (some might use the word liar).

WilliamM, I believe that in the play Judy takes note of her propensity to lie. But, having seen 3 shows now in 24 hours, I can't swear to it! This afternoon was The Lady From Dubuque, of which I wrote in the thread started by skynyc's.

This evening I saw Tribes, directed by David Cromer, who is a bit of the "in" director these days. The play was about an obnoxious family who argues at the dinner table while their deaf son sits silently. The first act consisted of showing how obnoxious this was, especially with the father. No one is listening to the other as they all talk over each other, again excepting the deaf son. A girl interest is introduced for him, and by the second act we are at deaf liberation as he refuses to speak to his family unless they learn to sign. He complains about being left out of the conversation and demands that the conversation be signed so as to include him. The family, used to his docility over the years, never learned to sign.

It's all better told than that, but when his brother loses his own ability to speak in sadness at losing his brother's company, it becomes too much. Essentially, none of us are listening to each other because we are too busy thinking of what we have to say instead. So far, of my three shows, my least favorite, but not a bad one.

Tomorrow is Dance Brazil at the Joyce, and I already know that it will be exciting and sexy, since it always is.

I am much more interested in what you have to say, not your friends . There is a line in the play as to what responsibility the gay community bears in her downfall, which we allegedly enabled. One character comments to the fact that thousands of gay men would cum in their pants if she hit tragic end.

I think that's absolute nonsense. No one bears ANY responsibility for Judy Garland's death other than Judy Garland. She was an adult in her 40s. She made her choices. She paid the price. Period. Blaming others for a performer's personal choices is just about the most ridiculous thing I can imagine.

Thank you Mr. Lucky for your fine review and comments of "The End of the Rainbow"... Always appreciate hearing from someone who has actually seen the show and takes time to post a review... Once I see it, I'll add my .02 cents.... I look forward to reading more of your Broadway reviews... Thanks again for sharing your comments...

Cooper, thanks for saying so. When writing up the reviews, I can never be sure who is interested, so I essentially write them for myself, and then if someone likes them, or finds them useful, all the better.

i have left, besides the dance performance, The Best Man, Lost in Yonkers, and One Man, Two Guvnors. If there is anything in particular someone would like me to find out about these shows, speak up, and I will do my best to find out.

For the Judy fans, I have already bought a ticket for the bf to see it next month. That's how much I liked it! I can't buy a ticket for myself to see it again as next month's card is already full.

Yes, Please Write More Reviews!

When writing up the reviews, I can never be sure who is interested, so I essentially write them for myself, and then if someone likes them, or finds them useful, all the better.

I may not respond to every review, but they are very valuable to me in chosing shows to see (example: End of the Rainbow). Even if I decide not to see a show, my decision will be much more informed after reading what you have to say.

Thank you, WilliamM. If you are a fan of dance, then I heavily recommend Dance Brazil, at the Joyce through this weekend. By the end of the performance, with the drums beating ever faster and louder, this sexy troupe is in a frenzy of movement. It was just thrilling to see...and hear. The opening number wasn't as fast paced, but the male dancers wore tight spandex briefs that favored the ones with bubblebutts and tight crotches.

My favorite was the tall, smooth, and oh so sexy Jorlan Gama, who was shirtless most of the night. I couldn't take my eyes off of him. He is one sultry and sexy dancer. I envied all of them for their energy and skills at dance.

Wow

I am a fan of Brazilian men, dance, and especially Brazilian music.

I have only been to Rio twice, but have been very lucky to have seen and hear some of Brazil's greatest singers in clubs in Rio. Damn! I can not visit New York until the middle of next week. I need to check what is happening at the Joyce more often.

In the mean time, I hope you do not mind if I read your review over and over again.

Did Gore Vidal's The Best Man have "flop" written all over it as suggested the other day here by another poster? The Friday night audience at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theater did not act as if if did. The packed house seemed to be enjoying every second of the show. Or was it the numerous stars it was enjoying? Angela Lansbury got a big applause for here short role, and Candace Bergen did well too.

But for me, sitting for once in the very rear of the orchestra, and feeling far removed from the happenings on the stage, the play seemed dated. I wondered why they had to put so many famous names in the cast if they felt that they really had something to sell us. And, to give you the full picture, I actually dozed off at a point or two

All in all, I wished I had returned to see Tracie Bennett perform again!

In the afternoon I did go to see the new Italian film We Have A Pope. It started out well, and I thought that they might show just how the papacy could be revamped to take some of the pressure off the sole pope. But they didn't. Once their main idea was used up, they had nothing, and so we saw cardinals learning to lay sports to while the time away until the new pope could return from flight from Rome. A rather boring film.

It is such a beautiful day to be in New York. I started my day with a walk in Battery City Park, went up to midtown to meet a fellow poster for a pleasant lunch, and now await my Saturday matinee, Lost in Yonkers. I wish I could walk all over Manhattan it is so nice out.

BTW, Ed James, the hordes of school children have not been so bad! I have seen a few cute guys in the process, all no doubt at least 18 years old! But then, New York has always been a favorite place to people watch. It's my last day, and my consolation is that I am coming back next month. Two trips planned, and both times the person I was to meet here backed out- except the bf, of course. He is really looking forward to a return visit.

Did Gore Vidal's The Best Man have "flop" written all over it as suggested the other day here by another poster? The Friday night audience at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theater did not act as if if did. The packed house seemed to be enjoying every second of the show. Or was it the numerous stars it was enjoying? Angela Lansbury got a big applause for here short role, and Candace Bergen did well too.

But for me, sitting for once in the very rear of the orchestra, and feeling far removed from the happenings on the stage, the play seemed dated. I wondered why they had to put so many famous names in the cast if they felt that they really had something to sell us. And, to give you the full picture, I actually dozed off at a point or two

All in all, I wished I had returned to see Tracie Bennett perform again!

In the afternoon I did go to see the new Italian film We Have A Pope. It started out well, and I thought that they might show just how the papacy could be revamped to take some of the pressure off the sole pope. But they didn't. Once their main idea was used up, they had nothing, and so we saw cardinals learning to lay sports to while the time away until the new pope could return from flight from Rome. A rather boring film.

I posted my own thread elsewhere about Best Man. To answer your question. Without the stars, NO ONE would go to see this show.

I saw HABEMUS PAPAM last year on DVD. You're exactly right. It started out terrificly and then it went absolutely no where. I'd have to count it as a big disappointment.

It is such a beautiful day to be in New York. I started my day with a walk in Battery City Park, went up to midtown to meet a fellow poster for a pleasant lunch, and now await my Saturday matinee, Lost in Yonkers. I wish I could walk all over Manhattan it is so nice out.

BTW, Ed James, the hordes of school children have not been so bad! I have seen a few cute guys in the process, all no doubt at least 18 years old! But then, New York has always been a favorite place to people watch. It's my last day, and my consolation is that I am coming back next month. Two trips planned, and both times the person I was to meet here backed out- except the bf, of course. He is really looking forward to a return visit.

18 years old and proably straight: the curse of all gay men.

My trip ended with performances of Lost in Yonkers and One Man, Two Guvnors, but somehow my reviews got eaten up between the writing and the posting. I'll leave it to someone else to review those shows as I am on my way back to California, currently sitting in the beautiful George Bush airport in Houston! What a contrast...

It's nice to be back to the PC. As much as i like the Ipad, typing reviews is hard because one wrong button and all is lost. Plus editing is hard to do.

So maybe tomorrow I can write about those last 2 shows.

Archived