THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Columnist

Lucky
This topic is 4519 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

John Lithgow plays the feared columnist Joseph Alsop in this play. I liked Lithgow a lot in M. Butterfly, but did not care for him at all in Sweet Smell of Success. I also saw him in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels but was too busy enjoying Norbert Lee Butz's performance to pay much attention to Lithgow. But I did like him in All My Sons.

So, The Columnist. It sounds like play I would like, so I went to the discount ticket sites and have tried several times to get a ticket. $88 after all is said and done, about $40 less than full price. Yet each and every single time I try for a ticket, they offer me Row AA. Yes, that is the very first row. Unless I know exactly how much space there is between that row and the stage, I have to assume it is like other Broadway theaters: very close!

So, I keep trying. I can't imagine this show being a big hit as Lithgow may have his fans, but Alsop seems long forgotten. Wednesday matinees should be packed!

Lithgow's last NY theater experience was the (thankfully) short-lived Mr. and Mrs. Fitch at Second Stage a couple years ago. Again, playing a columnist I am sensing a theme in his roles. That was a dreadful play, only made worthy by Mr. Lithgow and his on-stage wife, Jennifer Ehle. I got a free ticket because it was the evening of the Super Bowl and they were trying to fill seats. I was sorry to have missed the game.

That being said, another of the great opportunities for "heathen seats", as my friends and I like to call them, approaches. More shows crop up on the half price line on the big religious holidays. And it's the perfect time to use the Broadway Box and Playbill.com discounts at the box offices, because there really are better seats available, even for tough to get shows. Yom Kippur is always the best option, but first night of Passover is usually great as well. This year with Passover and Easter running concurrently, the pickings should be good; but tourists here for spring break are in the mix. Good luck.

Gee, I will have to get a Jewish calendar so I know when to buy tickets. Of course, this does show that Jewish people are big theater supporters! :)

(And I had forgotten about the Fitch show- truly awful.)

I tried yet another date for the discount ticket and continue to be offered Row AA. This tells me that no one is trying to get discount seats for this show. That means it will be at TKTS, so I will wait for that to happen.

Problem is, I only have two empty slots for theatre on my two upcoming trips. Newsies is the other show I am interested in, but only mildly.

I tried yet another date for the discount ticket and continue to be offered Row AA. This tells me that no one is trying to get discount seats for this show. That means it will be at TKTS, so I will wait for that to happen.

Problem is, I only have two empty slots for theatre on my two upcoming trips. Newsies is the other show I am interested in, but only mildly.

I got center mezz seats using my discount offering. Row AA is not all that bad. The Samuel J Freidman Theater is one of the nicest Broadway theaters. It underwent a massive renovation a few years back and seating is good, and comfortable, in the house.

Newsies will now be a tough ticket due to the good reviews and its appeal to family audiences. Current advertizing still promotes its “limited run.”

Your theater visit to NYC coincides with spring break for many schools. Times Sq will be overrun with school groups. It was the other night! Good luck, enjoy your theater visit to NYC.

ED

Ed, I went for the mezzanine too, and got a nice aisle seat in Row B. But I have to wait until my May trip to see it.

If I miss Newsies, it won't break my heart.

When is Times Square not overrun? As long as they are of age, I will look at any cute boy...

Ed, I went for the mezzanine too, and got a nice aisle seat in Row B. But I have to wait until my May trip to see it.

If I miss Newsies, it won't break my heart.

When is Times Square not overrun? As long as they are of age, I will look at any cute boy...

Many times this past winter during school sessions, Times Sq has been devoid of school groups, so getting through and around was "easier". Now, they're back. Gangs of groups with no regard for others on the sidewalks and chaperones who are just as clueless. I wish there were cute boys! It seems these groups are primarily young teenage girls. It's hysterical because they all seem to bring their sequined little cocktail dresses and stiletto heels to dress up and go to the theater.....hmmmm....just like me!!!LOL

ED

Ed, the first boy I saw coming into Times Square was drop dead gorgeous. Tight t-shirt, beautiful face, and in the company of a horde of girls. He looked ready to hustle! But I am pretty darn sure he is just a tourist.

• 3 weeks later...

Brantley: More informative than illuminating.

The NY Post: Boring...blah blah.

The Daily News:

“The Columnist” seemed to have everything going for it. The writer, star, director and design team are all proven talents.But you can’t make a fire with wet matches and

David Auburn’s new work turns out to be a disappointingly soggy drama.Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/theater-review-columnist-article-1.1067439#ixzz1t7Mq0mPl

Terry Teachout calls it a "disappointment," but has a pretty good review:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303592404577362230933971096.html

• 2 weeks later...

Ed, I wasn't so bored. Only modestly interested. The scenes seemed too contrived, especially the scene in the park with the hustler. I doubt that that scene ever happened, which gives us nothing to take from it.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it tonight. I wasn't bored, either. I wonder how faithful the portrayal of Joe Alsop was - shouting and histrionics here. I did think that Brian J. Smith, the Russian agent, was wonderful eye candy in his opening scene, but I hated the whig they put on him for the penultimate scene. He does wear a suit well, however!

Archived