THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Lyons

Lucky
This topic is 4523 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know that Linda Lavin has her fans. I had enough of her by the time that TV show ended.

But, if she is in a good show, I'd see it.

Here is the plot summary of her new play, The Lyons:

"Linda Lavin stars as Rita Lyons, the indomitable matriarch of a dysfunctional family at a major crossroads. Her husband's dying, her son's in a dubious relationship, her daughter's barely holding it together. Worst of all, Rita can't figure out how to redesign her living room." NY Times

Sounded good up until the last sentence. I can't spend big bucks to watch someone worry about her living room design.

I saw it at the Vineyard as well, and agree with C4T...first act is really funny, and Ms. Lavin can deliver a zinger with the best of them. But at the intimate Vineyard, you really got to see the eye roll that went with it. At the Cort, I fear that eye roll will be lost.

And the second act was really a mess, I thought. Nicky Silver has never been able to write a likable gay character...how much does he hate himself?

• 4 weeks later...

skynyc says "...the second act was really a mess..."

WSJ critic Terry Teachout says: "...

Mr. Silver skids off the road after intermission. The second act of "The Lyons" opens with a scene that appears to have been lifted from some other show (alas, it can't be described without giving away the game). Then we return to the hospital for a grand finale that staggers into seriousness and gets all gooey." WSJ.com, April 23d, 2012

• 3 weeks later...

I saw The Lyons last night and thought it was hysterically funny. I agree that the 2nd act does not live up to the 1st act, however in the end it was a good show. Alas, like a lot of Bway productions this one is in a box office trouble. It just doesn't have the power to pull in th tourists and young audience. It's a true NYC dysfunctional Jewish family story which is more appreciated by a NY audience. They should have transitioned it to an off-Broadway theater. It's won't last long after the Tony's are given out. (IMHO!)

ED

skynyc says "...the second act was really a mess..."

WSJ critic Terry Teachout says: "...

Mr. Silver skids off the road after intermission. The second act of "The Lyons" opens with a scene that appears to have been lifted from some other show (alas, it can't be described without giving away the game). Then we return to the hospital for a grand finale that staggers into seriousness and gets all gooey." WSJ.com, April 23d, 2012

Did I miss you on the road to Damascus? I thought you couldn't stand Mr. Teachout. Or only when he disagrees with you?

I saw the play. He's pretty spot on. Some good stuff in Act 1. Act 2 is a mess. I don't really get Linda Lavin but then I don't get Patti LuPone either.

Archived