THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Priscilla Queen of the Desert?

operalover21
This topic is 4567 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw the show in London last year and, whilst I enjoyed it, I wouldn't repeat. It didn't really WOW me. Of course Nick Adams was not in it over there. I never saw the show in NYC but those that have seem to have loved it. I'm sure someone will chime in shortly.

Other Options

I did not post in the first thread. I saw Priscilla Queen of the Jungle in early March 2011 when there was not much else to draw my interest. Yes, Nick Adams was worth it.

There are more options now, and in the coming weeks. For example, Him is still playing off-Broadway at the SoHo Playhouse (there's a thread about the play in this particular forum).

Death of A Salesman has Andrew Garfield, good eye candy. End of the Rainbow has not been receiving good word of mouth, but it's about gay icon Judy Garland's last six months.

I did not post in the first thread. I saw Priscilla Queen of the Jungle in early March 2011 when there was not much else to draw my interest. Yes, Nick Adams was worth it.

There are more options now, and in the coming weeks. For example, Him is still playing off-Broadway at the SoHo Playhouse (there's a thread about the play in this particular forum).

Death of A Salesman has Andrew Garfield, good eye candy. End of the Rainbow has not been receiving good word of mouth, but it's about gay icon Judy Garland's last six months.

To be honest, I only wanted to go to Priscilla if there was a LOT of Nick Adams to see. Andrew Garfield does nothing for me -- too much of a twink. And I hate that play. I've seen most everything else so it's slim pickings these days.

BEST MAN -- despite an amazing cast -- has flop written all over it.

"BEST MAN -- despite an amazing cast -- has flop written all over it."

Hmm, why do you think so? I have not heard anything like that. http://www.companyofmen.org/clear.gif

I went to the NY Times website to read reader reviews on this show. There is only one, but it gives it 5 stars. The Times notes: This marks the first major revival of Gore Vidal's 'The Best Man' since it received a Tony Award nomination and won the Drama Desk Award and Outer Critics Circle in 2000.

So, operalover, how does it have flop written all over it? Can you back up your statement with evidence?

HIM Tickets

All of the remaining performances are sold out.

As of yesterday, the website was showing plenty of seats for all performances. However, there have not been any discount tickets available for a while. So my guess is that the show is sold out completely.

But, I would call the number listed on the discount ticket site (Broadway Box) and SoHo Playhouse site---(212) 691-1555, if you are really interested in seeing Him. There is a slight chance that the current SoHo Playhouse website information is incorrect.

"BEST MAN -- despite an amazing cast -- has flop written all over it."

Hmm, why do you think so? I have not heard anything like that. First, because it's a crappy, mediocre, badly dated play. Second, this "star-studded" things almost never work unless the material is really good. This is being mounted for the tourists and for those who want to see if old legends can remember their lines.

I love just about everyone in it but ... I sure wish they were individually doing other, better material.

THE BEST MAN Comments on Broadway World Forum

Most of the comments on the Broadway World Forum are positive about "The Best Man." Warning: there are three pages of comments, some people are most concerned about who signs autographs at the stage door after the performances. By page three, people are posting specifically about this revival, and not who signs autographs.

The Best Man

Most of the comments on the Broadway World Forum are positive about "The Best Man." Warning: there are three pages of comments, some people are most concerned about who signs autographs at the stage door after the performances. By page three, people are posting specifically about this revival, and not who signs autographs.

I saw the show last week and thought it was good. I think the story line holds up and has some current relevance considering the Republican battle for a nomination. The cast was good.

To be honest this show is a pure Broadway tourist event. A producers dream. The cast is a who's who of TV stars and each and every one of them has name recognition. From the comments and accents in the seats around me, it's was a bunch of out-of-towners. Everyone LOVES Angela Lansbury and quite frankly at her age and at this stage in her career she could get up onstage and bake cookies and she'd pack them in. the audiecne was up and on their feet for her curtain call. A rosuing standing ovation.

Beware, the Schoenfeld Theater is one of those Broadway theater where the seating is very uncomfortable! I'm 6" 1" and my knees were pressed into the seat ahead of me. For some reason the air conditioning was turned way up, too. Perhaps to keep the audience awake?

FYI, Priscilla is starting show signs of her age and the box office has been weak, of course, a new round of tourist season is upon us and discounts are available, so it just might hang in there. I notice they've been doing a round of TV commercials with Bette Midler (she's one of the producers, although most publicity makes it seem like she's the only one) doing the voiceovers. The London version has better music. The Broadway version contains no Abba tunes due to the competing Mamma Mia show up the block and in its place Madonna tunes are used. Nick Adams is still a beauty to behold.

ED

I received an email yesterday offering 40% off to any ticket -- including premium seats -- to PRISCILLA.

I saw the last Best Man revival with Chris Noth more than a decade ago. It was very creaky. Good performances but I have to admit that the movie really sticks in my mind and no one can match those actors (Fonda, Robertson, Leighton, Sothern, Lee Tracy) in those parts.

It's not a play that belongs in the pantheon.

I saw the blog posts. Looks like they were written by starfuckers. No Brooks Atkinson in that group.

Archived