THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Current Broadway show recommendations?

operalover21
This topic is 4570 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've seen everything else and I'm doing a theater week in May and have two open times:

Monday at 8 PM

Evita or Death of a Salesman?

Wednesday at 2 PM

Nice Work if you Can Get it, The Best Man or How to Succeed in Business Without Really trying with Nick Jonas?

Those are my choices? Any buzz? I'd really like to see Kelli O'Hara in Nice Work but that has bomb written all over it. Any gossip on how it's going?

Many thanks!

Nice Work hasn't even started previews yet so you're a bit premature on that one. Death OAS just opened and while the reviews were generally positive, PSH did not garner his usual raves. The production and supporting cast were generally well received. But its not playing on Mondays in May as far as I can tell. They added a Wed matinee and deleted the Monday evening last weekend I think

Evita has taken some hits based on the voice of Elena Roger, although Ricky Martin and Michael Cerveris are getting good word. I'm seeing it tonight so will post my thoughts later.

Haven't seen HTSIBWRT since the cast change. But have generally heard good things

The Best Man - awfully quiet on this one - certainly a star studded cast. It hasn't officially opened yet so no reviews out

I realize there are no reviews but there's often "buzz" about stuff and it's been quiet about the Gershwin since Broderick replaced Harry Connick Jr. I love Kelli O'Hara and usually like Broderick ... but singing a Gershwin tune? I don't know.

Best Man is a mediocre play. I'd go simply for the cast.

Yes, it looks like Salesman has deleted the Monday night performance. That leaves Evita and I wouldn't go to an Evita just for the CHE!

I'll look forward to hearing your impressions. Friends in London loved Elena Roger ....

I really liked this Evita. Ms Roger is not Ms LuPone so there will be some, particularly on the chat room boards, who will never be happy with her.

Acting - Ms Roger

Dancing-Ms Roger

Voice-a close call, but will give the nod to Ms LuPone, she definitely has a warmer tone, particularly higher, but I think some of what Ms Roger is being criticized for is a dramatic choice, right or wrong, I found her very effective and more believable, but have a very difficult time remembering performances after 30 some years, so maybe I'm being rougher on Patti that I should be.

Diction - not a close call Ms Roger

I will be seeing this again with a friend from out of town-thought it might be a mistake after I found out this was on his list, but after tonight don't really have a problem seeing it again.

I assume you know what is performing on Mondays, but if not here's the link

http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/110105-Weekly-Schedule-of-Current-Broadway-Shows

I'm glad she's not Patti LuPone. I must be the only gay man on earth who can't stand Patti LuPone mostly for one reason: she plays everything the same way. Loud, brassy, and cheap. A real harridan at times. I saw her play the grand actress in A Little Night Music. Total miscasting. She was crude the whole time. And her Mrs. Lovett on Broadway had an accent that was from god knows where.

I have never, ever liked her. Just not for me. So Miss Roger might be a breath of fresh air.

Archived