THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Jesus Christ Superstar

skynyc
This topic is 4552 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I was a kid, we got the 2-LP-set out of the library and listened to it so often, my mom went out and bought it. (She liked it, too.) While I am never able to remember lyrics, the music has an entrenched familiarity and fondness. I saw the touring production that passes through NY in the late 90s or early 2000s, and was hugely disappointed. Too loud, too frenetic, too slick. I went last week to the production that is opening tonight with very low expectations.

I was kind of blown away. First of all, I always forget that the music that Jesus gets to sing is the least interesting in the show, and because everyone around him is so interesting, the character comes off as being pretty dull. That being said, Paul Nolan has a good voice and does a good job portraying a "rather iconic" role. LOL MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD

But the rest of the cast is pretty stellar in their parts. Josh Young (who has been in and out during previews due to, I understand, sinus or asthma problems, is quite amazing. While a strong tenor, his lower range which is used a lot, is really forceful, and he is terrific at the power belt and the high notes. Chilina Kennedy sort of drifts around the stage in an ugly yellowish dress, but she has a lovely singing voice, and with two of the best songs in the score...(Everything's All Right and I Don't Know How to Love Him,) she made a fine impression.

And the villains are all terrific. Caiaphas, the priest with the bass voice has always fascinated me, and his counterpoint with high-tenor Annas is one of my favorite bits in the show. I have been a fan of Tom Hewitt's since Lion King and Rocky Horror, and he's understated as Pilate which works wonderfully; especially in relation to Bruce Dow's Herod who is over-the-top in all the right ways.

The production itself, a transfer from the Stratford Festival in Canada, is slick and contained. The set is basically scaffolding, and there is a lot of walking around on it, but they've also made interesting use of a News Feed giving us the pertinent information on location and times...as Passover approaches. There is an LCD wall, I guess we're going to have to get used to them, but unlike in Ghost, here it is used appropriately and very effectively, especially in the 39 Lashes sequence.

The last twenty minutes is very difficult to stage, as the show was written as a concert, and the music is really supposed to be the star here...mostly instrumental. I found that Des McAnuff, (Jersey Boys) did a great job, and I was really moved.

The young-ish audience was really rapt throughout...and again, unlike at Ghost, the crowd was riveted. No texting, no FB updates, almost a leaning-in in anticipation as the story progressed.

While very different from the other revivals this year, (Evita, Follies, Godspell, Clear Day,) this maintains a unique ROCK sensibility, while telling this "greatest story ever told." I suspect that the Tony committee will be very divided in this category come May.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks "skynyc" for that thorough review... Jesus Christ Super Star, an excellent rock musical revival with a very talented and experienced cast... Those Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice songs are still popular today and were amazingly sung... Next to the acting and singing, I truly enjoyed the dancing. The sword dance number at Gethsemane was extremely well choreographed with moves I've never seen performed before. The spectacular crucifixion scene was staged in a way that only the neon lights on Broadway could achieve. I was mesmerized by the entire show. Paul Nolan (Jesus Christ) gives a memorable performance and portrays Jesus with an attitude. He and Jeremy Kushnier (understudy for Judas) could give Adam Lambert a run for his money in hitting those high notes. With all the seriousness of this musical, there is some comic relief with the very funny number provided by King Herod.

The music isn't as loud as I had thought and sitting in front row mezzanine helps in taking it all in.

http://www.superstaronbroadway.com/?gclid=CLPeqqzOna8CFQTd4AodbhV7dA

Coop

I must admit I have absoloutely NO interest in seeing this hopelessly dated piece of creaky theater history. Glad some are enjoying it but I find the score truly grotesque and treacly. No fine performances can, to my mind, redeem this awful material.

PS: I don't think that Adam Lambert "hits" high notes. He screams them out. A different thing. JDF "hits" high notes. I seriously doubt that Adam Lambert could "hit" a high note without screaming.

• 2 weeks later...

I vaguely remember seeing the original Broadway production back in the early ‘70’s, so seeing this production was a revelation to me.

Updated with a splashy set, bright and intense lighting, more contemporary costuming and a bit of hip-hop choreography, this energetic cast pushes the show to new heights. 23 out of the 26 performers, most from the Stratford Shakespeare Festival, are making their Broadway debuts in this production and kudos to them all.

I found it a riveting and moving rock opera and although pre-warned about the sound level (it really wasn't that bad), I thought it was a fast paced production and the original music maintains its integrity and holds the show together quite well.

Of interest is the continued absence of Josh Young who is listed in the Playbill in the role of Judas Iscariot. His understudy Jeremy Kushner has been filling in for him so a while now. A representative for the production told Playbill.com on April 4 that Young's bacterial infection had developed into laryngitis. He last performed in the production on March 29. Young is currently on vocal rest awaiting an all-clear from his doctor to return to the production.

The audience, made up mostly of young students in town for a spring break Broadway field trip (Yes, Lucky, my "favorite" group of tourists! LOL) loved it and so did I.

ED

Archived