THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Maria Callas Update

whipped guy
This topic is 4555 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For devotees of Maria Callas, Divina Records is now offering MP3 and lossless FLAC downloads of some items in their catalog in addition to their traditional CD format. Besides, some of their items, which are currently available only as pressed CD’s, are being offered at reduced prices.

This could be a more economical and quicker way to obtain some of their products which are usually head and shoulders above the competition regarding presentation and sound. Accordingly, I would suggest purchasing FLAC versions as they would yield the best audio quality… and especially since the price is the same as the compressed and somewhat inferior sounding MP3 versions. However, if space is an issue then the MP3 file is the compromise option. Personally, I would prefer to have either a FLAC file or the pressed CD and then convert it to an MP3 file if that is your desire.

Interestingly, Divina has just issued a Giuseppe di Stefano recital. However, it is from 1964, which was somewhat after his prime years and as such most likely is not representative of his best efforts. Still, it is something that could be of interest to his admirers.

Check it all out at www.divinarecords.com

La Sonnambula is one of my favorite operas as well... I know that some consider it silly... but if taken seriously it can be quite a moving experience. Incidentally, a couple of years ago I contributed a post covering all the available Callas versions of this opera. There was the threat of a hurricane so I was stuck indoors with time on my hands... fortunately nothing ever materialized, just a bit of wind and a light sprinkle of rain... you can read it toward the end of the following thread: http://www.companyofmen.org/showthread.php?76154-The-Maria-Callas-Thread

Some of my favorite recordings are live performances, whether rock, pop, opera or classical music. But, I have realized that over time I tend to listen over and over to the performances with the best sound. So that will be a deciding factor as I read and read again your very helpful posts on La Sonnambula.

Trying to locate live performances in the best possible sound can sometimes be a challenge, but it is definitely worth the effort as I find that live performances usually possess a certain quality that can't be duplicated in the studio and especially where opera is concerned. Unfortunately most studio efforts are most often recorded out of sequence so it is impossible to get the feeling that a performance is actually building in intensity. and actually going somewhere. While Callas was one of the few artists who was capable of recreating an actual performance in the studio, in many aspects her live performances are even better. As far as her series of live performances of La Sonnambula in 1957 are concerned... none are really as "perfect" as the studio version, but each seems to have a compensating quality where a phrase is delivered with a more heartfelt quality, a bit of subtle shading, or is interpreted with more intensity... and even the conducting seems to have a bit more sweep and drive at certain moments... and that is part of the magic that occurs when performing before an audience.

Listening to Music

I agree with everything you wrote, which is why I like to listen to live performaces. I have been doing a lot more reading lately. I seldom listen to music while I am reading. I also never listen to music while walking, jogging or on airplanes.

So the time that I listen to music is much less than a few years ago.

But I can chew gum, and think at the same time!

La Sonnambula is one of my favorite operas as well... I know that some consider it silly... but if taken seriously it can be quite a moving experience. Incidentally, a couple of years ago I contributed a post covering all the available Callas versions of this opera. There was the threat of a hurricane so I was stuck indoors with time on my hands... fortunately nothing ever materialized, just a bit of wind and a light sprinkle of rain... you can read it toward the end of the following thread: http://www.companyofmen.org/showthread.php?76154-The-Maria-Callas-Thread

Thanks for sending me back to that old thread. I have not listened to that 1957 studio recording on EMI in a long time. I remember rushing out to buy the new digitally remastered CD after hearing it broadcast on WHYY in Philadelphia in 1986, and being mesmerized by her.

If one wants to hear and learn how to perform a perfect legato line, just listen to Callas singing "Ah! Non credea mirarti" from La Sonnambula... as it is one of those Callas moments that epitomizes her art. I don't think it was a coincidence that Terrance McNally chose that particular scene to use in Master Class... his play about Callas teaching young students at Julliard.

• 3 weeks later...

I recall when this aired. Prior to the interview it was announced that Callas declined to sing for them... as if Frank Sinatra or some other star would have sung for "60 Minutes"... somewhat adding to the negative aura. At any rate, if memory serves me they played a bit of "Sempre libera" from the 1953 Cetra La Traviata... at least they showed her in good form with an E-flat in alt of which she had many to burn in those days!

Archived