THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Still seeing ghosts (Phantoms)

jackhammer91406
This topic is 4587 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Apologies if there was already a thread on this, but I am too (insert negative description here) to search for it.

On Sunday evening I happened to catch the last 20 minutes of Great Performances on PBS. The station was in the midst of a pledge drive (when aren't they?) but I digress.

The program was a special 25th anniversary celebration of Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of The Opera produced by Cameron Mackintosh at the Royal Albert Hall. The show played for only three performances last fall.

Seeing the last 20 minutes, I was dazzled by how intimate the production felt (HD TV a marvelous invention). The cast was over 150 members plus a huge orchestra. The staging, sets and costumes were great. But I guess it was the performances that were the most moving. I can't say enough about how clear the voices and diction were, and especially the performances of the actors playing The Phantom and Christine. Being able to see facial expressions up so close was a real benefit.

I went out the next day and rented the DVD and watched the entire performance the next night. I can only say for anyone who may enjoy the music of the night, this is a production that really is a must see. For those who haven't seen it, I won't spoil it by telling you how they did the scenery, but it is almost overwhelming.

Can you tell I really enjoyed this?

I saw this was going to be on PBS but had another commitment. Thanks for letting us know it is worth seeing. I've always loved Phantom since I saw it on Broadway with Michael Crawford.

Was hoping for a positive review of this new production. I'm going to go out and rent it.

I agree... this is an incredible production... I was able to watch the entire program on PBS... it has been on a couple of times and so much fun to see all of the stars that have been featured in Phantom productions over the years. I saw it first in NYC, then in Toronto, then in Chicago and in London... I have basically worn out the CDs that I have of the orginal cast with Sarah. I am sure that most of you know that Andrew Weber wrote the Phantom as a tribute to his then wife Sarah Brightman. To bad that they didn't stay together. Maybe he would have written something else as beautiful. I know that some people think that Phantom is second rate, but millions have and continue to see touring productions every year and all over the world as well. I know that you can get the DVDs from PBS from this special program, but did not realize you could get it elsewhere as well.

DD

DD

Archived