THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Lady from Dubuque

skynyc
This topic is 4560 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Okay, of two minds on this one.

I found this to be brilliantly acted, but the play to be confusing and convoluted, (and that's in addition to what you expect from an Albee play: angry and histrionic.)

Originally from 1980, the original production ran all of 12 performances, and still managed to get two Tony nominations for supporting actors.

The first act is populated by six of the most unpleasant folks ever seen in an Albee play...(and that's saying something.) Sam and Jo, who are our hosts for the evening's dinner party, and two of Sam's old friends and their mates. Edgar, is a placating ass who merely agrees with whatever has just been said, and his wife Lu is a not-too-complex woman who seems generally despised by everyone in the room. Fred is an oft-married, bigoted boor who has brought his latest bimbo, Carol, and openly comments about his continual proposals to her...("Fourth time is the charm" etc.)

The six are playing a party game called "Who am I?" (Hint: this is an Albee play and this will probably be pretty pivotal.) And part way through, our hostess, Jo turns to the audience and asks "Don't you hate party games?". (I am often wary of the "breaking the fourth wall" ploy.)

During the very unpleasant game-playing banter, we also come to learn that Jo's acerbic barbs have some excuse, she is in the late stages of a terminal illness, and is in great pain.

The first act is typical Albee with no one listening to anyone else and much unpleasantness. I had made up my mind to leave at intermission as the guests leave, and then Sam carries the screaming-and-bent-over-in-pain Jo to their room. And just before the lights dim, the luminous Jane Alexander enters dressed in grey, accompanied by the very dapper Peter Francis James. They are glad that they're "not too late" and the act ends.

Well, Jane Alexander hasn't been on stage in NY in a long time; in fact she's the reason that I got a ticket in the first place, so I decided to return.

The second act is full of contradictions and interruptions, there's a couple of thrown punches and someone gets tied up. The game of "Who Am I" quickly becomes a game of "Who are You?" There are some laughs, and many more insults, (imagine), and finally some resolution.

Well, after the show, I bumped into a number of friends in the lobby, and we decided to sit for a second to discuss and digest the tale, and this enabled me to ask my questions about the show. Some were answerable, others not. One friend told me that there'd been a big article about Albee in the Times that day which mentioned that this show was written at the height of the author's alcoholism. Another queried whether the entire second act had been the dream of the main character.

What we did agree on, universally was the amazing cast, who were stunning. Michael Hayden and Laila Robbins were amazing. How Ms. Robbins does that twice on Wednesdays and Saturdays, I cannot imagine...and I even had a chance to ask her as she came out and sat with those of us lingering after the show. (Made me wonder if the dressing rooms in this new complex are very small. LOL) She was very gracious and chatted with us for a good fifteen minutes.

Gay theater followers will recognize Thomas Jay Ryan who starred with Michael Urie in The Temperamentals, and he couldn't be more different here. (I know...acting IS his job.)

And Jane Alexander is wonderful as the Lady from Dubuque. (I love knowing that the title comes from a quip from the founder of the New Yorker who when asked for whom his new magazine was being written replied: "Well it's not for the lady from Dubuque.") As she leaves the stage the final time, Heyden once again asks her "Who are you?" and she replies..."I am the lady from Dubuque. I thought you knew." And then she looks at the audience and repeats "I thought he knew." A wonderful exit line.

Had intended to write my review on Saturday after seeing it, partly so I could end my summation with; "I found this pretty incomprehensible which means Brantley will love it." But my post-show conversations with friends, and Ms. Robbins did help somewhat, (as did a martini). I was going to recommend that any readers here go see it, so you could explain/discuss it with me. But now it's Tuesday morning and Brantley did love it, and in a 299 seat theater with a ticket price of $25, I think tickets will become hen's teeth. Hopefully it will extend.

• 4 weeks later...

Albee histrionic? Must be a different Edward Albee than the one whose plays I've been enjoying for 30 years. Far and away, the best American playwright of the past 60 years. Angry? I'd hardly call him angry. He presents life as he sees it which is pretty much how most people live it. It has all the human emotions but to boil him down to "angry and histrionic" is pure nonsense.

I re-read skynyc's review, as well as Ben Brantley's, before seeing The Lady this afternoon, and I am glad I did. The opening act did not bother me so much, but then, I post often, so I see that kind of conflict regularly! But the review prepared me for the second act, wherein Michael is alone both literally and figuratively. Seeing his pain in realizing that his friends, if that is what they were, had abandoned him and his wife had realized her wish, which was to die, and now he was completely alone, was profound. It was a strange way to make the point, but then, I am not a playwright and people do not pay to see my writings enacted on stage. I just would have done it differently. But I am glad that I saw the show.

Archived