THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Die Zauberflöte

gallahadesquire
This topic is 4579 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Anyone have any information where Die Zauberflöte might be performed in 2012-2013?

I just found out that The Met did a ring cycle this year. Sigh. TOo much else going on in life, like quitting work and RETIRING

to do crazy things like hear opera, which I never liked as a child.

Of couse, there's always Bayreuth, which, if nothing else, reproduces the original Feeling of the opera.

[Das Weltanshauung des Rings].

In apinch, I'd listen to it in Swedish ... :p

Regarding Die Zauberflöte...

Duetsche Oper Berlin has several performances scheduled March through June of this year. www.deutscheoperberlin.de

As for the Ring... I have sat through Die Walküre twice... however it was a chore... and especially during Wotan's narrative in the second act where he rehashes all that came before... For the record the people were dropping like flys and the snoring in the balcony at the MET was louder than some of the singing!

Give me a single act or better yet some bleeding chunks any day... Yet hearing the glorious end to Die Götterdämmerung makes one almost think that the 20 previous hours are almost worth it... Still, if I were going to torture someone or be tortured I think that other methods would prove to be more enjoyable...

Analysis of The Ring Cycle - The Glorious End

Give me a single act or better yet some bleeding chunks any day... Yet hearing the glorious end to Die Götterdämmerung makes one almost think that the 20 previous hours are almost worth it... Still, if I were going to torture someone or be tortured I think that other methods would prove to be more enjoyable...

"Well, so, when Brünnhilde finds out about this, of course naturally she’s frightfully annoyed and she plots with Hagen to kill Siegfried. And Hagen kills him. Well of course as soon as he’s dead she’s sorry…I know you men are going to say “so like a woman,” and…. And so she is sorry, and she builds a funeral pyre, and she puts Siegfried on it. And she gets on her horse, and she gallops on the funeral pyre too, and she lights it, and they burn up. [Plays Fire music.] Well that sets Valhalla alight, and IT burns up. [Plays Fire music.] Well then Wotan and all the gods burn up. [Plays Fire music.] And the whole works catches fire, and it ALL burns up. [Plays Fire music.] It’s all burnt.

Well then the River Rhine overflows its banks. D’y’remember the Rhine? And the waters come in over the ashes. And who d’you think turns up next? The Rhinemaidens. So they take their lump of gold, I mean the Ring, which is of course their lump of gold, and they put it back where it came from. And after sitting through this whole operation, what do you hear? You hear: [Plays and sings Rheinmaidens’ leitmotif]. YOU’RE EXACTLY WHERE YOU STARTED TWENTY HOURS AGO!"

- An analysis of the Ring Cycle, by Anna Russell.

http://www.markelliswalker.net/music/albums/anna-russell-ring.html

"YOU’RE EXACTLY WHERE YOU STARTED TWENTY HOURS AGO!"

- An analysis of the Ring Cycle, by Anna Russell.

LOL! My all time favorite quote!!!!

Those final measures of the Ring Cycle are as deeply moving as any music ever created by mankind... Yet, every time I am driven to tears by this glorious music there is always a bit of Anna Russell lurking in the deep recesses of my brain... and that brings a sly smile to my face as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have any information where Die Zauberflöte might be performed in 2012-2013?

San Francisco Opera is doing it this summer, along with Nixon In China and Attila. I saw the LA production of Nixon and it had some wonderful moments. If you go out to see The Magic Flute, try to see Nixon in China as well. It's been a long time since I've seen Attila, so I don't have a meaningful opinion of it.

I saw the Seattle production of the Ring a while back. They had spectacular fire!

Archived