THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Iceman Cometh in Chicago

Lucky
This topic is 4494 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I keep an eye on Chicago theater since I really enjoyed seeing A Streetcar named Desire at the Writer's Theater a few years ago. I saw another show at the Goodman which I really liked, just can't remember the title. The I hated the show I saw at Steppenwolf.

All of which is to explain how it happened that I noticed a production of The Iceman Cometh comething to the Goodman in April. I'm sort of booked in April and May, so I looked at the last weekend it plays, which is June 7-10.

It is almost sold out, with tickets only left in the rafters. Except for one or two solo seats on Friday night. The pricing is odd- Saturday evening and Sunday matinees top out at $123, but Friday night tops out at $89. Since Saturday night had no good seats anyway, I saw a great seat on the aisle on Friday night that had legroom too. So, I bought it, even though I am not sure I can use it. Why let a great seat go by? Since the show is nearly sold out now, by then I can get rid of the ticket easily if I need to, right?

Or, I might actually go see it. Brian Dennehy and Nathan Lane star. I saw the show in New York with Kevin Spacey starring. I had been warned that it could easily put me to sleep, but it didn't. I liked it, and I like fine acting. it would be nice to see Lane do something serious. I saw Dennehy in Death of A Salesman in New York and liked his performance too. I am getting to know that show, having also seen it at the Old Globe and having a ticket to see it in New York with Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Anything else good coming to Chicago?

The airfares to Chicago turn out to be higher than to New York. The cheapest from PSP is $495!!! The Iceman may not be seeing me!

I think it should be fairly easy to sell your tickets if you need to, even just on here let alone Craigslist or such. That would be an amazing show to see nonetheless. Last time I saw Nathan Lane in Chicago was for the first run of The Addams Family, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I think one of the best things about Chicago theatre though are the local "underground" theatre productions. I've lived here in Chicago perhaps for the last 8 years or so, maybe what turned me onto the more local productions started off with Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind, and it was all downhill from there. Regardless, I don't see as much of Chicago theatre as I'd really like to.

If you're going from PSP though, it might be cheaper to get a connection to TPA/MCO to ORD, as I frequently fly to TPA/MCA from ORD and it's usually $200 or so at the most.

• 2 months later...

Charles Isherwood is ecstatic in his review of this show in today's NY Times. I don't know how to post a link with the IPad, but perhaps someone else can be kind enough to do so. He relally liked the show, which has now been extended for a week

• 1 month later...

So a man calls upstairs to his wife: "Honey, has the Iceman come yet? She hollers back, "No, but he's breathing' real hard!"

Thus is the joke from which Eugene O'Neill apparently found the title for what has become one of America's greatest plays. It's a bleak one, what with all of the down and outers gathered in a bar waiting for the annual visit of Hickey, who comes to celebrate the bar owner's birthday and spend money on drinks for all of the resident drunks. But, as those familiar with the play know, this time Hickey has some new ideas, ideas that each of the men should give up their "pipe dreams" and make some improvements in their lives.

At five hours long, with three intermissions, The Iceman Cometh is not for the feint of heart. I found it a chore to sit in my partially broken seat despite the loads of leg room it had, but being in the second row brought me all the closer to the residents of the bar. And residents isn't stretching it as so many of them live in rooms on the premises.

This production stars Nathan Lane as Hickey, and I have never seen Lane perform so well. Every acting chop he has is brought to bear, and I had no trouble believing that he surpasses Kevin Spacey, who performed the role the last time I saw the play. All of the actors, including Brian Dennehy, were superb. The Chicago crowd was on their feet without a second's delay at the end of the show. And I don't think it was because of a strong need to stretch the legs after five hours. They liked it, they really did! And so did I, having flown in just to see the show.

But, I got a bonus, as the night before I saw a production of The Glass Menagerie at the Steppenwolf Garage, a 90 seat theater down the street from Steppenwolf's main stage. I liked everything about this show, from the sets, the lighting, and the casting. Whereas the last production of Menagerie in New York wanted to leave the audience with the suggestion that the Gentleman Caller might actually have had more interest in Tom than anyone else, this one played it perfectly straight. Too bad as the Gentleman Caller was a really hot guy. Excellent performance, emphasizing how seriously Chicago takes its theater

Archived