THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

$29 Broadway Tickets Today Only! Leap Day!

Lucky
This topic is 4538 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Raul Esparza stars in Leap Of Faith, coming to Broadway soon, and today only you can buy tickets to see it for just $29.

It's a leap (of faith?) day offer valid only until midnight- I assume Eastern Time.

Go to broadwayoffers.com, enter code LF229LP and get your tickets. (April 3-7 performances only.)

Having said all of that, I saw Leap of Faith in LA, and thought it was much too long. Hopefully it has been cut some.

• 1 month later...

I caught an early preview of this new Broadway musical last night at the St. James Theater. I hadn't closely followed any press or other opinions on this show, so I was completely caught off guard when I actually liked it. Some said Brooke Shields was miscast in the LA production and the show ran too long. Looks like they've cleaned some of that up for the Broadway version. The show moves along at a brisk pace and Ms. Shields has been replaced by Jessica Philips (most recently of Priscilla Queen of the Desert). An energetic and vocally talented cast gets to sing some great gospel inspired numbers by Alan Menken, who now has 3 Broadway musicals running concurrently (Leap of faith, Newsies, and Sister Act). The whole show has an interactive revival meeting setting with cast members running around the audience looking for "Amen’s" and money, fake money that is. Raul Esparza portrays the down-in-his-luck, nowhere to run, wanted in 10 states for fraud, preacher, Jonas Nightingale with the appropriate sense of smarminess and Jimmy Swaggart-like appeal. His second act song, Jonas' Soliloquy" comes close to being show-stopping. Although the many audience members were Bway biz actors, etc, (Tony nominee Robin DeJesus sat next to me with his BF, and they cuddled through the show!) they all seemed to like it very much and many were on their feet for a rousing ovation at the end. As with many previews, there was a small technical glitch when the set failed to move in the second act, but fortunately, it was quickly fixed. Considering the horrid revival of On A Clear Day that preceded this production into the St. James, this show just might just rid the theater of its bad karma and actually run for awhile.

Spoilers.

A con-artist bandleader blows into River City where although immediately met with skepticism from the town's pretty young librarian, he manages to immediately entrance the local citizens. The bandleader forms an immediate bond with the librarian's young brother, and manages to steamroll the town into his sway. However, the mayor is skeptical and tries to get the bandleader run out of town. Of course, in the end, the bandleader and librarian team up to not only create a boy's band, but they also fall in love.

Oops, sorry. Substitute "Revival Preacher" for "bandleader", "Sweetwater" for "River City", "sheriff" for "librarian", "son" for "young brother", "bible-college student" for mayor, and "miracle" for "boy's band".

LOL Okay, yes, the similarities in the storyline of Leap of Faith are laughably similar to The Music Man, but the story is just as effective now as it was fifty years ago. I was initially on my guard, because of course, we know that the preacher (Jonas Nightingale, played with salacious smarm by Raul Esparza) is a crook. But the sheriff, Jessica Phillips captivated me pretty quickly. And while child actors often cause me to cringe, this kid, Talon Ackerman, has a naturalness that was really remarkable.

There were a couple good numbers, although none particularly memorable, and the supporting cast vocals are terrific.

I do have a couple quibbles. I thought the choreography pretty lackluster...but then again, it mostly consists of the movements of the revival chorus. I thought the whole show was WAY over-miked. And although I had a pretty decent seat...right in the center of the mid-mezzanine, there are a lot of moments where the the action occurs on a short runway into the orchestra, and I couldn't see what was going on.

But on the whole I can recommend this, especially for a discount price. (There's very little I can honestly say is worth the full ticket price these days, sadly.) I suspect that there will be several Tony nominations, Esparza, Phillips, Best Musical, Score, and perhaps even some featured acting nods. And the miracles at the end are nicely moving. (And effective.)

I also must say that the set had the same issue early in act II as in edjames' review above. Again, it was quickly fixed, and that always adds fun for an audience...the ultimate reminder that you're watching a live show.

Keep in mind, the show is in early previews, technical glitches happen and this is why shows have previews to work out these issues. Sound and sets should all be fixed very soon. I bet they might even be "tweaking" the script and the scenes. I'm sure Playbill.com and other sites have discounts available, the $29 seats were a one-day event only.

ED

• 3 weeks later...

Archived