THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Rutherford and Son

skynyc
This topic is 4601 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

One more for this evening...and this is the one I saw tonight.

Rutherford and Son is being done by the MINT, a treasure for the NY theater community, who has established itself as a dynamo producer of Broadway's lost gold. I can honestly say I have never been disappointed by a Mint production...although there were several I didn't care for.

This evening's offering was originally produced in 1912, and was written by Githa Sowerby, although it's was announced as KG Sowerby because in her day, female's didn't write plays of note. It was a huge success then, and it's understandable. It features some very believable characters, and some TERRIFIC parts for women.

The story is told in the standard-for-the-day three act format, and tells of John Rutherford, the domineering owner of the Rutherford Works...a metal foundry in Northern England. His elder son John has returned after his schooling and then a prolonged absence with his wife and infant son. Somehow, he has created a new recipe for metal that will change the fortunes of the slowly declining profits of the old methods, and means to sell it to his father, or the highest bidder. Also in the house is the younger son, Richard, who has become a minister and whose weakness of character is the laughing stock of the community, and finally Janet...the daughter of the house, who seems to have fallen in love with one of her father's employees.

While the first act is so full of exposition that the pacing is pretty glacial, the second and third acts shine with scenes for the marvelous Sara Surrey as Janet, and Allison McLemore as John's young wife, Mary.

I don't want to give away more than this premise, but the show ends realistically. With some ambiguity, some heartbreak, and some strength.

I recognize that this won't be for everyone. But I can heartily recommend it to anyone whose enjoyment of theater includes rare classics, performed in quality productions.

The show will open next Monday, 2/27 and will run through 4/1 at the Mint's very comfortable and intimate home on W. 43rd.

A theatrical side-note: Dale Soules, a name which lovers of great theatrical ballads will recognize as the originator of West End Avenue and Lion Tamer from Stephen Schwartz's The Magic Show, has a small scene as a meddling local mother.

Archived