THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Prima Donna?

jackboy48
This topic is 4603 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Has anyone seen the new opera Prima Donna by Rufus Wainwright? I've been following some of the trials and tribulations involved with the production and regret that I can't make it to NYC this week. I've enjoyed most of his adventures so far, particularly the Judy Garland tribute, and wonder if I should make arrangements to see Prima Donna the next time it is performed?

Next time?

I was there for the premiere on Sunday afternoon. I'd say Rufus was in over his head on this. The first act sounded like he was afraid of being accused of writing songs. It was slow paced and seemed rather pointless. The second act was better. He gave the maid a real song to sing, and the dramatic fireworks finally built up. But ultimately the plot seems kind of trivial, and the orchestration tends to be oblivious to the need for singers to actually be heard. The cast worked very hard - but the New York Times review yesterday morning tells the story. (I understand from a friend that the NY Post review was worse, but I didn't see it.)

Perhaps if there is still interest out there in presenting it again, he can be persuaded to do a thorough re-write, which would involve tightening up the first act considerably and relieving some of the aridity with a few sections that actually sound like arias rather than just endless, formless text-setting without memorable tunes. He does clearly have a lyric gift, as evidenced by his success as a song writer, but opera is a much bigger challenge.

The audience went wild at the end - but I think that was mainly because Act II was so much better than Act I and the ending was actually quite moving. A good ending can cancel alot of sins at a premiere, but for the long haul I think the entire product has to be much better to entice other opera companies to take it up.

Archived