THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Elizabeth Connell dies at 65

Charlie
This topic is 4604 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

She never became a superstar, but she was one of my favorites. I first heard her as a young mezzo in a concert performance of "Aida" at Royal Festival Hall, and from the moment she opened her mouth, I was hooked. I tried to see her whenever possible, but I was not present--I was listening on the radio--the afternoon she sang Lady Macbeth in the Met broadcast, which was stopped when an elderly man jumped to his death from the Family Circle boxes during intermission. Thirty years ago in Amsterdam, she kept me on the edge of my seat through the entire second act of "Parsifal" as Kundry, still one of the most electrifying performances of anything that I have ever seen.

I recall that MET Macbeth broadcast as well... and was puzzled as the intermission seemed to last forever until they made the announcement that the performance had been canceled. I also recall a broadcast of Mozart's La Clemenza di Tito where she sang Vitellia. I also saw that production in the house, but can't for the life of me remember who sang Vitellia. I do recall that the Sesto was the late Tatiana Troyanos... and according to the MET archives they did sing together in the piece... so perhaps I did hear her live as well. Incidentally during that performance when Sesto's shackles are tossed away they were accidentally thrown into the orchestra pit... and where then amusingly presented to Troyanos during the curtain calls by one of the members of the orchestra!

Archived